General discussion

Windows 2000 Domain Types

By mr16 ·
I work for a medium sized university whose primary network OS is Windows NT. The university will not switch over to Windows 2000 Server until NEXT summer. My department, however, would like to implement a Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000. Sincethis will require that I setup Active Directory, here is my question.

How can I setup my domain (Active Directory) in such a way that when the university finally sets up the forest domain that I can add my domain as a tree?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by erikbutler In reply to Windows 2000 Domain Types

if you set up the domain now with all of your servers then when the university goes to w2k they will have to accept that you are your own forest. or reload your DC and join them to the campus domain. Because once you set up you root server it cannot be changed

Collapse -

by mr16 In reply to Windows 2000 Domain Types

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by karsudha In reply to Windows 2000 Domain Types

when u install first domain controller that will be the forest, tree and domain controller.

u cannot make this part of a new forest unless u uninstall active directory from this machine.

better have a chat with university cio.teperarily ur w2kdoain can coexist or participate ur existing nt4 domain.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to Windows 2000 Domain Types

As noted you currently cannot take an existing forest and move it into another forest.
Although!!! Third Party companies (NetIQ, FastLane) are at work on pruning and grafting tools to merge/join forests. Also I believe there my be some support in Windows2002 Server (whistler) and I am positive it is a feature MS wishes to complete on Blackcomb (the whistler followup)

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by bruce In reply to Windows 2000 Domain Types

It will help if you watch Pinky and the Brain.

Pinky(you): What are we going to do today Brain?

Brain(Microsoft): The same thing we do everyday, try to take over the world.

Theme Music wells up

Chorus: Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain

I take it that your department is the MIS Dept, not some other department?

You are stuck with upgrading the PDC to Active Directory, or else losing everything later. If your current domain was Princeton.edu, you could create a new "root" domain such as PRadmin.edu, with the later intent of joining all present account and resource domains beneath. Only those users/objects in this new root would be available to Exchange 2000, which relies totally on AD.
Technically, a car that makes only left turns, will eventually get you where you want to go, but MS is making this one hard. I'd rather see a 2000 upgrade plan fleshed out, then only implement the first two steps (PDC>2000, Exchange 2000)

Good Luck

Bruce

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)