General discussion

Windows 2000 Drive Mirroring

By cat219 ·
I have a currently running 2000 Server drive which is a basic drive in a domain environment. I have installed another drive to act as a mirror. I have already set that one as dynamic, but I now need to switch the primary drive to a dynamic also. Before I make a change like this to an established network, I would like to know if anyone sees a danger in doing this. Bottom line is that with a tight budget, I need this as a cheap way to have a quick backup in case of drive failure. If it were up tome, I wouldn't be so cheap when it comes to this sort of thing, but hey....this is what I have to work with. Your thoughts are appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Widgey Woo In reply to Windows 2000 Drive Mirror ...

Before you convert your existing Drive to a dynamic volume, back it up first. Once you convert a basic disc to a dynamic volume you cannot convert it back to a basic disk without first removing all the volumes on the Drive and reformatting it any existing partitions will become simple volumes on the new Dynamic Disk. I forsee no problems for you to convert the Primary Disk and then create a mirror of that disk to the second disk for Fault tolerance.

hope this helps

Collapse -

by cat219 In reply to Windows 2000 Drive Mirror ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by rnwindahl In reply to Windows 2000 Drive Mirror ...

No problems. I have setup dozens of servers this way and I havent ever had a problem.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)