General discussion

Windows 2000 DUN - Error 718

By BJackey13 ·
I'm an ISP Business Rep with a customer who can't dial-in to our service via Windows 2000 Professional DUN. When he dials in it goes through his name and pass, tries to establish a connection, and displays "Registering computer on network". After approx. 10-12 seconds it reports error 718: Timed out while waiting for a valid response from server. I can dial in from a 98 box and an NT box and connect just fine. I've recreated the DUN connection 4-5 times trying all known good configuration of settings. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Bjackey13

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jesalyer In reply to Windows 2000 DUN - Error ...

check the modem configuration.

On Win2k, to set modem init strings, you must enter the control panel and double click on Modems.

Set a string appropriate to your ISP and the particular modem in the extra settings. (You may need to contact the helpdesk for help on this point.)

jeff s
spanish support analyst

Collapse -

by BJackey13 In reply to Windows 2000 DUN - Error ...

Unfortunately, I am the helpdesk :) I contacted his modem manufacturer, but their are no init strings. I should mention that the customer CAN connect with the same laptop and modem over 98.

Collapse -

by calves In reply to Windows 2000 DUN - Error ...

The W2K machine is trying to register to the Domain. Try this, go to the properties of the dialup created and unmark Include windows logon domain option and unmark client for microsoft network under network tab...

Good Luck!

Collapse -

Unfortunately, those two are already unmarked :) Thanks though
I should mention that the customer CAN connect with the same laptop and modem over 98.

Collapse -

by mphoffar In reply to Windows 2000 DUN - Error ...

I like answe 2 also, but there's an option in for an active DNS that you may have to disabe. This feature will want to update all the dns servers in an area with itself, but because he probably doesn't have a permission to do that, the connection just dies.

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)