General discussion

Windows 2000 Explorer Crash

By ttw ·
My os is windows2000. When clicking on the Windows Explorer button, or My Computer, Search, and Settings, the following error message appears "explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. Anerror log is being created".Although I have downloaded service pack SR4,the problem cannot be solved. I tried to repair from the windows 2000 installation cd but no different.My current version of Norton AntiVirus with updated virus definition detected no viruses.But I can access all files and folders using internet explorer(IE) instead of explorer.My IE version is 5.5. there something that can solve this problem without having to reinstall Windows2000 and having to re-install all the programs.
Thank you for your help,

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Brian158 In reply to Windows 2000 Explorer Cra ...

Have you tried updating to the newest IE? The newest version 6.0. What is your Ram and system specs?

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Windows 2000 Explorer Cra ...

Look at Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 326612, "Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed By Windows" Error Message".

This is not exact, but close, and it may be helpful.

http://tinyurl.com/ka9b

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Windows 2000 Explorer Cra ...

This can happen when your profile becomes corrupted.
Create a new account and login with that one.
start. settings control panel, administrative tools, local users and groups.

Leopold

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Windows 2000 Explorer Cra ...

Or another possibility:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 255758, "Error Message: Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows"

http://tinyurl.com/ka9f

Collapse -

by jschein In reply to Windows 2000 Explorer Cra ...

two things...

1) goto lavasoftusa.com and download free adaware. Update it, run it, remove malicious programs. Reboot.

2) Try again, if not, install i.e. 6.0 sp1

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)