General discussion

Windows 2000 Freezes at startup screen

By ASLtech ·
I currently have Win 2000 Pro installed on my HP Pavilion N5495 notebook computer. When I try to boot it, it stops at the small 'Windows is starting up...' box just before the password screen. I am able to get into safe mode and have tried to remove unneeded items from startup, but it still doesn't work. I have also tried to boot in last known good configuration; still nothing. 'CHKDSK' displays no errors with the system. Any help is appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Windows 2000 Freezes at s ...

Troubleshoot areas,to see if it is an IRQ issue.

DisablE ACPI card bus's use both PCMCIA slots,check all system devices

(IMHO, ACPI really slows things down). The only down side is that you lose the power-down/sleep features.

Also try disabling the ant-virus and see if the freezes stop,you can always enable the virus to see if the freezes start up again,then you could rule out anti-virus

Update to lastest service pack

Collapse -

by ASLtech In reply to

How would I do this?

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to Windows 2000 Freezes at s ...

The fact that you are able to boot to Safe Mode without any problem suggests that the cause of the problem might be due to corrupted drivers, programs, or services that are being loaded. It is not likely hardware are causing the problem.

Options:

1. Disable ALL startup programs, not just a few. The best way to do this is to use ?MSCONFIG?. If you do not have the command already, copy it from Windows 98, 98SE, ME, or XP, and paste it to C:\Windows (or Winnt)\system32 folder. If this resolves the problem, enable/disable half the programs at a time to find the culprit(s).

2. Install Spyware/Adware removal programs such as Ad-Aware 6.0 and Spybot S&amp and remove any spyware/adware. Scan for virus and remove any that were found.

Backup data and settings before you do next.

3. I assume your computer came with Recovery CD(s). Most offer Factory setting of drivers and programs without formatting. Do it.

4. Use the Recovery CD option that formats the hard drive. All data will be lost. Any program you installed must be reinstalled.

Reference: MS KB Article 281770 on How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000 (or tinyurl.com/3bwsh)

There is no easy way to resolve this kind of problem.

Good luck

Collapse -

by Bratt In reply to Windows 2000 Freezes at s ...

Are your service packs current? Try this website it has lot's of reasons for this issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=true&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&withinResults=&QuerySource=gASr_Query&Product=win2000&Queryc=windows+startup+hangs+&Query=windows+startup+hangs+&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=25&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on

Collapse -

by Bratt In reply to

Take out any spaces so the link will work.

Collapse -

by Unidentified In reply to Windows 2000 Freezes at s ...

sounds like a corrupted driver which failed to initialize a pc component, like it's having trouble initializing a driver or piece of hardware

try swapping out the video card, and remove any other cards (NIC, modem, sound card, etc) to check

Collapse -

by OTL In reply to Windows 2000 Freezes at s ...

Tried booting to safe mode and delete items in temporary internet folder ? chkdsk/r (repair)? Running Defrag ?

Check the BOOT.LOG file and see where it is stopping. Or enable it so you can see where it has a problem.

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)