General discussion

Windows 2000 Freezes

By DAC-BobbyII ·
I have Pentium III 933 with 512 MB RAM and running Windows 2000 Professional SP2. Once in a while the mouse will freeze and I have to reboot the computer. I have replaced the RAM, reinstalled Win2k, all to no avail. Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Freezes

by dmiles In reply to Windows 2000 Freezes

Have the same system setup,running Win ME and W2K Pro,check to make sure that you have the lastest updates to your virus definition files,and then look for an update to the mouse driver
Check the Ram to make sure that it is compatible,and not mixed.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Freezes

by DAC-BobbyII In reply to Windows 2000 Freezes

Tried all of that, Norton AV updated this morning, RAM is PC133 256MB, MS Intellimouse Optical.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Freezes

by poo_music In reply to Windows 2000 Freezes

Just a quick one, did you install Windows Media Player 7.01? If yes, do uninstall it then reinstall the windows 2000 SP2. I faced the same problem and it works fine for me now.

Cheers!

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Freezes

I don't have Media Player installed, I'm running MusicMatch. I have reinstalled SP2 and it didn't help matters either.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Freezes

by LEGJ1 In reply to Windows 2000 Freezes

Can you get to TASK MANAGER to see what process is stealing your CPU or MEMORY? Even before it locks up, check EVENT VIEWER or TASK MANAGER for errors or memory/CPU hogs. I was having similiar problems when I installed IIS on my pro.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Freezes

I replaced the motherboard, installed a bigger CPU fan, more RAM. Currently running 1GB RAM, CPU is running cooler, problem seems to have disappeard.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Freezes

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)