General discussion

Windows 2000 GPO

By tim ·
I am trying to set a GPO for each OU on my 2000 Advanced Server but could not get it to work properly.

Here are what I did:

1) created a share folder on the server with SMB share permission for EveryOne (default)

2) created a GPO for OU-Accounting and set it to redirect the "My Documents" folder to the share folder on the server

3) add user accounts to the OU-Accounting

here is my problem:

When I log users on to a Workstation, folder redirection does not work. The folder does not create automatically under the sharefolder on the server. The setup in the GPO is \\serverame\sharefolder\%username%

have to create the folder manually and change the path of "My Documents" on the user laptop to point to \\serverame\sharefolder\%username%
manually.

Can you tell me what I am missing or doing wrong. This server is running parallel with another server in the domain. I am trying to move everyone from the old server to this new server. I have about 200 users and not really want to have to do this for every single one of them. Many thanks to any help/suggestions

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 GPO

by curlergirl In reply to Windows 2000 GPO

You are probably having a permissions issue on these folders. Each user must have OWNERSHIP (not just full control) of the redirected folder. The best way to create them would be in the AD Users and Computers by setting that same location as the home directory for each user. If you do this, the folder will be created automatically and permissions will be set correctly. Check the permissions on the existing folders on the server side that you are trying to use for the redirection. To work properly, the user has to be the owner, and the Administrator should also have Full Control permissions. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Windows 2000 GPO

by curlergirl In reply to Windows 2000 GPO

Another thought also - you don't specify what OS your workstations are using. If they are 2000 or XP, your GPO setup should be OK. However if your workstations are NT or 9x, you will need to use the old-style policy editor to set up policies for them.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 GPO

by tim In reply to Windows 2000 GPO

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Windows 2000 GPO

by NetLion In reply to Windows 2000 GPO

Creating the GPO doesn't mean it is in effect. You have to "link" it to the OU. Also make sure that security filter permissions are set to defaults whereby Authenticated Users will be processed.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 GPO

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 GPO

by wdjacks In reply to Windows 2000 GPO

If this is a folder that contains subfolders by user. Why not just put the root folder in logon.bat. The folder (on a shared device) will load for everyone with a profile set to logon.bat.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 GPO

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Windows 2000 GPO

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)