General discussion

Windows 2000 install

By shpl ·
I am trying to upgrade/clean install to Windows 2000 professional in a Windows 98 system but again and again am getting the Blue Screen called a "stop error " . I have removed/uninstalled lots of apps and almost all the incompatible apps and hardware drivers excepting the Ambient Ham Data Fax Voice modem driver on the basis of the upgrade report but nothing is working out . What can I do to successfully install or upgrade to Windows 2000 ??? . Help needed urgently . Feel free to email me directly at shpl@rediffmail.com .

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 install

by sgt_shultz In reply to Windows 2000 install

can we have the exact error? have you checked to see if there is a BIOS upgrade for your motherboard? tried yanking out all 'optional' cards...sound, network...zip drive...

Collapse -

Windows 2000 install

by shpl In reply to Windows 2000 install

The exact error is :
" C0000221 STOP : Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll " .
It goes on to advice me to check any new hardware or software that was installed and seek windows 2000 updates from the manufacturers for those .
Alsoto try disabling BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing .
I have uninstalled my 3D ATIS sound card drivers and am refusing to search for a driver upon booting and reinstalling it but have not yanked it out as yet . Should I ??? . I am about to uninstall my internal modem card too . Should I yank out both cards physically too or its enough to uninstall the drivers and not let them get reinstalled in any way as I am doing at present ?? . I only have an ASUS graphics card ( non PCI ) apart from these but that may not be the problem going by the upgrade report that got generated during the failed install .
I use a VC 820 INTEL original motherboard with a P111 1GHz processor . Where can I find a BIOS upgrade for this motherboard for windows 2000 ?? .
An urgent reply would be profoundly appreciated . THANK YOU .

Collapse -

Windows 2000 install

by Mike Jones In reply to Windows 2000 install

Try creating a new installation of 2000 into a different directory that Windows 98 is currently in.

This should the allow you to dual boot between 2000 and 98. Make sure you leave the partition as FAT.

This will tell you whether you have a problem with 2000 or Windows 98.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 install

How does one leave the partition as FAT ? . I am dual booting in WIN 98 all right upon my confirmation but the 2000 boot is giving the stop error after I have confirmed and the process starts and has passed the intial loading of files .

Collapse -

Windows 2000 install

by Dynamo2003 In reply to Windows 2000 install

Because you have uninstalled several applications and there is no joy your best bet is to remove all external devices, re-install Windows 2000 and re-introduce the external devices gradually that way you are rest assured that the last device added caused the PC to Blues Screen. It is sometimes helpful if one knows the make and model of the PC in question.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 install

I have yanked out everything . Its aint working . I assembled this PC myself back in 1999 --- so its my own "make and model" !!! . I am loggin in from New Delhi , India . THANKS ANYWAY .

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)