General discussion

Windows 2000 installation errors

By helpdesk ·
I am trying to install windwos 2000 on a machine and I continue to get one of 2 errors when I insert the second diskette that acpi.sys or pci.sys is corrupted. I feel this is telling me there is a hardware problem somewhere but I don't know what I should be testing or if I should just scrap the machine.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Oz_Media In reply to Windows 2000 installation ...

Check the mother board manufacturer for a BIOS update. In the case of proprietary equipment (Compaq, IBM etc.) go to their website and look for the latest BIOS update (If your BIOS will even support Win2K).

Collapse -

by Oz_Media In reply to Windows 2000 installation ...

Try cleaning the CD. No kidding and don't laugh.
I've seen four hours of troubleshooting an install that was resolved by cleaning a BRAND NEW CD.
Don't overlook the obvious. If you've already tried this, then I'll just sit down quietly.
thank you,
OM

Collapse -

by nccorthu In reply to Windows 2000 installation ...

Are you loading this from a CD? if so and it hangs on the same place(s) then try another CD first. If from a Network share then check if you can copy files from it. That also can work on a CD.

If a machine seems to be basically running andyou get same error at same place check the source for a corrupt file.
Another item to check is whether you can cha nge the disk and it sees the new one. Use a Win98 startup disk if its a CD. It has all the drivers.

Collapse -

by Matt_S In reply to Windows 2000 installation ...

Almost every win2k, install/file copy problem I have encountered has been one of 2 things. Memory, or CD-Rom drive. Since you are booting off the floppies, I'd highly suspect bad memory. Assuming of course the floppy disks themselves are good.

Ifyou have enough extra memory, try pulling the chips one at a time and then installing.

Collapse -

by KhongPhuTu In reply to Windows 2000 installation ...

Hi,

1. Have you and why didn't you boot from CD-ROM instead of from floppy?

2. Have you try making another set of boot diskettes using the CDROM and another system? Here's the link from MS:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197063

3. If after retried using the a new set of boot diskettes and you still get the same errors then the likelihood is that a proprietary pci.sys and acpi.sys drivers are needed. You need to know something about the hardware to get the correct drivers.

Good luck

Good luck.

Collapse -

by dvsnnr In reply to Windows 2000 installation ...

If you are willing to 'scrap the machine' it must be an older one. Perhaps it is too old to support Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI). If so, you 'MAY' be able to update the BIOS to the latest version for your motherboard, but if the chipset and/or the CPU are too old, there is nothing you can do, it simply won't support the required commands. What 'brand' is the machine, and how old is it? Can you ID the motherboard, chipset and/or BIOS brand/version? This may help.

Back to Desktop Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)