General discussion

Windows 2000 limited access

By admlvt ·
I have (1) Windows 2000 server I am attempting to install on a NT 4.0 network. ( thought it was a good idea to get some experience) There are several problems I am experiencing in users connecting to the 200 server.
1. connection refused too manyusers
2, asking what ID the individual wants to connect as
3. Server is nor visivle to everyone on the network.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cuziyq In reply to Windows 2000 limited acce ...

Windows 2000 Server is *comletely* different from NT 4.0 Server.

Authentication:
First of all if you configured this machine to be a domain controller, it will NOT participate in domain security with the NT4 servers (hence the reason it asks forauthentication every time you try to connect to it). You must either demote your NT4 PDC's to BDC's, or configure the 2000 server as a peer, and not a domain controller. (If you demote your NT4 PDC, you must configure 2000 for mixed-mode.)

Server not visible:
Because of authentication (or lack thereof), this server may not be visible because it's machine account in the domain would not be valid. Unlike NT4, Windows 2000 does not use WINS for name resolution by default. You must manuallyinstall WINS from the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

Refused Connections:
You're on your own there. I can't think of any reason other than you simply didn't specify enough licenses during setup. If this is an Eval copy, there is no way to increase the license count.

Collapse -

by admlvt In reply to Windows 2000 limited acce ...

Had discovered a portion of the information supplied. I believe I hate Windows 2000. Thank you for your assistance

Collapse -

by admlvt In reply to Windows 2000 limited acce ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)