General discussion

Windows 2000 login

By amaran_a ·
While trying to login to a Windows 2000 server, after giving the login and password, there is a message indicating 'loading personal settings' and comes back to Ctrl-Alt-Del login screen.This is happening for any login and in safe as well as regularmode.
What could be wrong and how to overcome this problem?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 login

by ewgny In reply to Windows 2000 login

Did this by any chance happen after a recent Microsoft hotfix ?? If so I think you will have to resort to using a recent emergency repair disk

Collapse -

Windows 2000 login

by amaran_a In reply to Windows 2000 login

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Windows 2000 login

by Ole88 In reply to Windows 2000 login

I have seen this happen after someone makes security changes to the hard disk or ownership information gets fouled up. I would attempt to map to the C$ (secret C share) from a W2K Workstation and check the permissions on the drive. It will take a while, but you may find where the problem is and be able to correct it. If you are unsuccessful and even the repair process does not work, you may have to reload the server.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 login

Collapse -

Windows 2000 login

by jaystar In reply to Windows 2000 login

Is it part of a domain? Has the domain policy for the computer been changed? I would also try the C$ mapping trick tried earlier, as well as open the event logs from this machine on another 2000 server to look for clues. If you get a list of error messages, post them here and we can try to help you.

Jay

Collapse -

Windows 2000 login

Collapse -

Windows 2000 login

by AirHockeyNinja In reply to Windows 2000 login

The above answers are great, just a caveat here; some viruses/trojans mimic the windows login process in order to capture usernames and passwords. First thing I'd do is a full and complete Virus/Trojan scan.

Good Luck!
Joe

Collapse -

Windows 2000 login

Collapse -

Windows 2000 login

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)