General discussion

windows 2000 logins

By jgibbons ·
I have brand new win2000 workstations and brand new winadvanced server all with latest updates and service packs
how do i find out the correct name for the domain so when I try to login to new server i kow the right "domain name: AD is installed and when i first tried to pick a domain a got a probaly a DNS issue on the workstation I did add the computers to AD ises and computers or should I let them add themselves in. These workstations were in a NT 4.0 workgroup before this. Under server properties I can get three names for this computer one says name@.... the other is a pre windows 2000 name and the other is connected to DNS which is the real mccoy
thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

windows 2000 logins

by timwalsh In reply to windows 2000 logins

A Win2k Domain makes use of 2 different domain names. The AD domain (with the format <yourdomain.com&gt is used by Win2K and later clients. The other is the NetBIOS domain name (with the format <MYDOMAIN&gt is used by NT4 and earlier clients. The NetBIOS domain name is what shows in the domain window of the Log-on screen. The AD domain name is usually the same as the DNS domain name.

When connecting NT4 and earlier clients, you must use the NetBIOS domain name when attempting to join the computer to the domain. With Win2K and later clients, you must use the AD/DNS domain name.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

windows 2000 logins

by jgibbons In reply to windows 2000 logins

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

windows 2000 logins

So where does one find all these names I want to know just to be sure I am on the right track

Collapse -

windows 2000 logins

by curlergirl In reply to windows 2000 logins

On the server, right click on the My Computer icon and click Properties. Go to the Network Identification tab - this shows you the computer name and the FQDN, which is in the format server.domain.com. The "domain.com" portion is the DNS name of the domain. Then, open Network Neighborhood and double click Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network. The domain name listed there is the NetBIOS name of your domain.

When you add a new computer to the domain, my experience is that it works better to add the computer account from the workstation end rather than adding the accounts manually first in AD Users and Computers. Theoretically, it doesn't matter which way you do it, but I like this method better. This means that when you join the domain from the workstation, you have to supply a user name and password (usually the Administrator name and password) that has rights on the domain to create machine accounts. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

windows 2000 logins

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

windows 2000 logins

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)