General discussion

Windows 2000 Logon Scripts

By djames ·
We have one domain called colonybank.com and we have 22 remote locations all connected with slow Wan Links. We have a domain controller at each remote location and a seperate site for each location. We have users set up with logon scripts and profiles stored on there local server. Management is now coming to me saying our Bank Tellers have to float from bank to bank so they will be logging onto other servers. They do not have documents that will need to roam but they have roaming profiles.They need to be able to logon to there normal server and on Saturday when they work at another location logon to that server and map drives to the server at the branch they are at and have the same desktop they have at there normal location. We arenot sure how to do this in 2000 and with logon scripts. All Servers are 2000 and all Workstations are 2000 Pro

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Windows 2000 Logon Script ...

I think you will need to use the %LOGONSERVER% variable to do this.
%LOGONSERVER% = what it sounds like, the Domain Controller the user account logs into. Since you have 1 domain, all Domain Controllers have the same user list, so this just might work.
Let' say you have 3 domain controllers, DC1, DC2 and DC3. Say they all have 2 shared folders on them, \\SHARED1 and \\SHARED2. You need to have drives H: and I: map to the 2 shared folders on the correct Domain Controllers.
Usually, when userBOB logs in at the home office, he authenticates against DC1 and maps H: to \\DC1\SHARED1 and I: to \\DC1\SHARED2.
Ok, BOB goes to remote site 1, with DC2. And he needs to map H: to \\DC2\SHARED1 and I: to \\DC2\SHARED2.
This is your problem.
Ok, try this in the logon script:

Collapse -

@ echo off
if %LOGONSERVER%=DC1 GOTO DC1
IF %LOGONSERVER%=DC2 GOTO DC2
IF %LOGONSERVER%=DC3 GOTO DC3
EXIT

C1
ECHO YOUR DOMAIN CONTROLLER IS DC1
NET USE H: \\DC1\SHARED1
NET USE I: \\DC1\SHARED1
EXIT

C2
ECHO YOUR DOMAIN CONTROLLER IS DC2
NET USE H: \\DC2\SHARED1
NET USE I: \\DC2\SHARED2
EXIT

C3
ECHO YOUR DOMAIN CONTROLLER IS DC3
NET USE H: \\DC3\SHARED1
NET USE I: \\DC3\SHARED2
EXIT

Collapse -

See? Use the %LOGONSERVER% variable to jump in the logon script to the appropriate drive mapping section. Just set up IF parameters for each DC in your WAN, and the correct drive mappings for each section. This will make your logon scripts really logs, but if management wants people to float around, then this will do it.
I would leave the roaming profile information alone also. No need to touch that.

hope this helps

Collapse -

by djames In reply to Windows 2000 Logon Script ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by NetTek In reply to Windows 2000 Logon Script ...

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but you are asking for big trouble using roaming profiles over WAN links. Go to a local server that stores the roaming profiles and look at their size. Imagine copying that over a slow WAN link.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)