General discussion

Windows 2000 / ME printer sharing

By richardcudmore ·
I have windows 2000 on one PC and Windows Me on another on a peer to peer network. If I install a printer on the windows 2000 PC I can see it from the Windows Me PC but if I try to print to it from the Me PC it tells me it is offline. I have tried two different printers with the same result. The network path seems OK. Is it an administration set up problem??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Windows 2000 / ME printer ...

Check the drivers for both WIN2K/ME to make sure that both OS have the updated drivers for the printer
Open the printer properties and click the File menu in the drop down list,click on the offline,this will put the printer back online.
If printeris grayed out,click near the printer to make sure that printer is set to default.

Collapse -

by richardcudmore In reply to Windows 2000 / ME printer ...

Done all this thanks. As soon as you go to install printer on the Me machine, select network printer. Select the printer from my network places it says the network printer is Off Line and you will not be able to print to it unitl it comes back on line. This is before even the driver is installed on the me machine

Collapse -

by Hobb In reply to Windows 2000 / ME printer ...

Also try removing it from Win ME then browse the network, find the printer (I assume you have shared it)double click printer, it should tell you that "before you can use it it needs to be setup on your computer, would you like to set it up ?" Say yes and do the usual printer setup process.
The other thing to try is capturing the printer port.

Collapse -

by richardcudmore In reply to Windows 2000 / ME printer ...

Done all this thanks. As soon as you go to install printer on the Me machine, select network printer. Select the printer from my network places it says the network printer is Off Line and you will not be able to print to it unitl it comes back on line. This is before even the driver is installed on the me machine. Continue to install the Me driver and still says it is Of line and will not allow it to go online. Tried to capture a printer port same result. Created new user and set all new permissions. Same result.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)