General discussion

windows 2000 mobo change

By tim ·
Windows 2000 pro installed and working. After short time mobo crash, replaced mobo with new but different manufacturer. Win 2000 will not boot all the way. It is stuck in a re-boot loop, never gets to the splash screen. Have seen this same thing on a laptop recently. Replaced hard drive before I could look at it.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

windows 2000 mobo change

by Paul D. Masley In reply to windows 2000 mobo change

Without a little more info, this one will be hard to repair. What type of M/B crash happened. What kind/type/amount of RAM is installed. WIN2K loves memory. It is identical to NT Workstation. The more it has the better it likes. If you are attempting to run WIN2K with 32 megs, sorry. Forget what the box says. The minimum will boot and that is just about it. 128 is better. Also, the new M/B is probally set up differently than the original and this will throw the WIN2K configeration completely off. I suggest that you boot with the ERD (you did make one I hope), use its recovery. If this cannot be done, reformat your drive(s) and then reinstall. Your problem sound like a memory problem, but could also be caused by a bad video card. Suggest that you use either Kingston or PNY memory and a namebrand video card instead of a whitebox or offbrand. Leave me a little more info on your setup and I will try to help.

Collapse -

windows 2000 mobo change

by tim In reply to windows 2000 mobo change

The old mobo was with an intel 820 chipset with 256 SDRAM. It locked up a lot, this problem was documented by Intel. The mobo was a Supermicro, the vendor replaced it with an Tyan with VIA chipset. Using the same video card, memory Crucial 128MBX 2. Tried ERD and several other options, none worked. Finally just fdisk and reloaded. Because I had heard this happened to a Dell Laptop and the only fix tried was to replace the Hard Drive, I felt that there had to be another answer.
Thanks anyway.

Collapse -

windows 2000 mobo change

by pherr In reply to windows 2000 mobo change

Try to repair the installation, this works sometime in these sitations. If that does not work reinstall, but the repair should work.

Collapse -

windows 2000 mobo change

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

windows 2000 mobo change

by Paulote In reply to windows 2000 mobo change

start win 2000 in vga mode, and then install the ide drivers and the agp drivers (if the mobo have it).

Collapse -

windows 2000 mobo change

This is one I did not think of, I may have worked. The new mobo has a VIA chipset and I was using an AGP card. Needed to load the 4-in-1 drivers.

Collapse -

windows 2000 mobo change

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

windows 2000 mobo change

I supose I should have left this open a little longer and given points. I had already reloaded, I am a bit new at this will do better next time.

Thanks to all for your time and answers

Back to Desktop Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)