General discussion

Windows 2000 mouse that doesnt work all

By Bob Denning ·
At work I set up three workstations running windows 2000 to be used for a 3D Visual Studio rendering farm. All of them are controlled by one keyboard, mouse, and monitor using a 6 port sharing device. On one computer the mouse has worked fine on it the entire time throughout setup and then into actual use of the OS. On the other two computers it has only worked throughout setup, after restarting the mouse goes out and every once and a while it comes back. It is really weird because I have switched mice to see if it was a hardware compatibility issue, and they both worked on one computer but not the other two. I know that all of the ports on the switch work because I tested them on the one computer that works and each port worked the same. I don’t know why it keeps doing this; Is there any way to fix this problem so that the mouse will work on every computer?

For more information please E-mail me: Robert_Denning@hotmail.com

Thanx,
Robert Denning
IT manager

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Windows 2000 mouse that d ...

Some how the mouse seems to trying to access port that is already being used for another device even though you have tested the ports
Try this-Enable X-mouse functionality in Windows NT,edit the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse\ActiveWindowTracking key and set the REG_DWORD TO 1
Update the drivers

Collapse -

by Bob Denning In reply to Windows 2000 mouse that d ...
Collapse -

by tuck46 In reply to Windows 2000 mouse that d ...

more than likely it is neither the the mouse or the drivers, I've often run into the same problem when trying to install nt on several machines using one keyboard, mouse and monitor simultaneously. I've tried different switches and the best one I'vefound yet is Linksys Pro Connect 4 station cpu connector.
I still periodically loose a mouse, but very seldom. A reboot takes care of it.

Collapse -

by Bob Denning In reply to Windows 2000 mouse that d ...
Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)