General discussion

Windows 2000 network problems

By Red Dragoon ·
My client has a Windows 2000 PC. This is a computer in which I placed a new hard drive and installed Windows 2000 SP2. It is on an Ethernet network with a 3com 3c905b-tx NIC. It seems for no apparent reason, but especially when I am downloading a large file from the Internet or accessing a large file from a network share that the computer drops its connection. There is no 'Network Cable Unplugged' message. The only remedy is to restart the computer. I had an electrician test the wall jack to the patch panel. I replaced the NIC and both cables, to the wall and to the hub. I also downloaded the 3com nic diagnostics which say that the nic and network connection are fine. I do not want to reinstall the OS. Help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Windows 2000 network prob ...

I have had a similar experience with the the same card. The problems can be traced to areas - the BIOS and the driver. The NIC card probably shows everything is okay in the device manager, the 3com diagnostics say everything is okay, yet it will drop or hang during downloads. My first system that had a problem, a Dell, was related to something in the BIOS. I do not think it was assigning the interrupt properly. After upgrading from A06 BIOS to A09 it eliminated the problem. On another system, using WIN 2000, I had problems with the WIN 2000 drivers. I let it auto detect and install the drivers and the performance was unsatisfactory and it kept dropping when I downloaded large files ( 30 megs or more.)I uninstalled the card and installed the drivers from the 3com web site ( I think it current driver is version 5.4 see the 3com website http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c905b.htm) My advice is :
1. Uninstall the card completely. Manually unistall any drivers you may have installed ( WIN98 drivers will not work properly if for some reason you tried to use them - unlikely but I thought I would mention it.)Remove any references from registry. Use a registry cleaning program to eliminate any other problems ( I use System Suite and Norton's System Works.)

2. Install the most current driver. The driver can be located here: http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=3&sort=effdt&sku=3C905B-TX&order=desc
or http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=5&sort=effdt&sku=3C905B-TX&order=desc

3. Update your BIOS if it is older

4. This is a long shot , but make sure the NIC is not in the slot adjacent to the AGP slot - I have heard of some conflicts.
I do not thin uninstalling the OS wouldmake any difference. I hope this helps.

Collapse -

by Red Dragoon In reply to Windows 2000 network prob ...

Just used different motherboard! Thanks!

Collapse -

by cbach1997 In reply to Windows 2000 network prob ...

Something cool that you can do in Windows 2000 also is go into your Network and Dialup connections (Start...Settings...) and then click Properties (for the Local Area Connection Status). Enable Show Icon in taskbar when connected. This will be like the Win95/98 icon you got when you were dialed up to the net using a standard ISP. It keeps you in the loop of what's going on. FYI,

cbach1997@hotmail.com

Collapse -

Just used a different motherboard. Thanks!

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)