Question

Windows 2000 not booting up due to virus attack

By godzillex ·
Hello,

I received a call from a friend stating that his old Sony VAIO desktop running Win2K is refusing to boot up (due to possible virus attack). It gets stuck showing the Windows welcome screen...

I jokingly told him to just reformat the old clunker, but there are a few data files which currently reside on his Desktop that he wants to copy before doing that.

I'll be paying him a visit this coming week, and would appreciate any thoughts as to how I can help him get those files on his Desktop.

Many thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

did u try safe mode

by vlape In reply to Windows 2000 not booting ...

after post tap F8, go into safe mode.
Hope this helps

Collapse -

Yes, but...

by godzillex In reply to did u try safe mode

Unfortunately booting up in the Safe Mode did not work either

Collapse -

UBCD4WIN

by Mr.Wiz In reply to Windows 2000 not booting ...

Get the UBCD for Windows and use it to get his files off of the computer before wiping it.

http://www.ubcd4win.com

Collapse -

Interesting...

by godzillex In reply to UBCD4WIN

Thanks for the link. This tool seems to have everything that one could need; though my only requirement is to be able to grab a few files form a system that's been damaged by a virus -- a virus which has messed up the registry, boot records, and God knows what else.

I'm assuming that once I've booted off the UBCD4WIN CD, I'd be able to "somehow" access his drive C, even though it has a damaged file system (can't boot from it).

Collapse -

try this

by vlape In reply to Interesting...

yank the drive, place it in another comp as a slave, copy files. I had an old external usb drive. when i found it of little use i took it apart and use the board & power supply to connect drives to my laptop for diag and such..... did the same with a external that contained a laptop drive, works wonders and makes life easy

Collapse -

UBCD should let you access the drive.

by Mr.Wiz In reply to try this

UBCD should let you access the drive and then you can burn your files to CD. Putting the drive into another machine isn't a good idea if you have a virus problem, you'll just spread it to the new machine.

Collapse -

You need a boot CD

by 3xp3rt In reply to Windows 2000 not booting ...

You can download and make a bootable CD, like Ultimate Boot CD for example, from:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Boot the computer from this CD and copy your needed files to a safe location, (USB stick).

Collapse -

Windows 2000 not booting up due to virus attack

by Omnicef In reply to Windows 2000 not booting ...

Definitely UBCD4WIN

Back to Malware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)