Question

Windows 2000 - One Complete update

By mwalec ·
Is it possible for me to get 1 complete update for Windows 2000? This could be in form of a service park.

At the moment, the PC is not able to install certain applications. Also it is not able to pick monitor drivers - uses a default as a result, the picture quality is very poor. It also fails to install the correct drivers for the monitor(on a CD)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Service Packs and updates

by Tig2 In reply to Windows 2000 - One Comple ...

I don't think there is a single resource that will give you all the SPs and updates and patches. I would think that you should be able to download them from Microsoft.com and place them all on a USB drive or burn them to a CD.

Good luck!

Collapse -

by mwalec In reply to Service Packs and updates

Thanks for the help rendered but my problem is still not resolved. I have already installed Windows 2000 SP4(130mb). Would it be wise for me to download and install earlier updates(ie Windows 2000 SP3, SP2 and SP1?). Because I am not able to connect to internet(does not allow me to install internet), I am not able to do automatic updates straight from internet).

Please help.

Collapse -

I don't believe that you have to install earlier SPs

by Tig2 In reply to Reply

If I recall correctly, the cumulative updates are with the service pack. So basically, if you install SP 4, you are also getting 1,2, and 3.

Patches are another thing. But you can find them at microsoft.com from a computer that is able to access the internet and download them to a USB stick or burn them to a CD. Then install them on your system.

What do you mean when you say that you can't install Internet? Is it not "seeing" your connection point? That may be a different issue.

Collapse -

Autopatcher

by willcomp In reply to Windows 2000 - One Comple ...

Although Autopatcher was discontinued, it is current through August 2007.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/AutoPatcher.shtml

Appears you may need driver updates as well. You'll have to get those from system or component manufacturer web site.

Collapse -

Sounds Like Driver Problems

by TheChas In reply to Windows 2000 - One Comple ...

It sounds to me like your main issue is that the correct system drivers are not installed.

Find the driver CD for the system or motherboard. If you don't have the CD, download the drivers from the system / device manufactures web site. Or, if all else fails, download the reference drivers for the chip-set, GPU and other devices.

Install the drivers in this order:

Motherboard / chip-set.
AGP mini-port if not installed by the chip-set driver.
Graphics card.
Other devices.

Reboot the system as requested.

SP4 should include all of the previous updates. Other than creating a "Slip-Stream" installation CD, there is no way to get all of the post SP4 updates as a single install.

Chas

Collapse -

by mwalec In reply to Sounds Like Driver Proble ...

The major drawerback I have is that Windows is not allowing me to install software which can tell me the drivers(make) which are installed; neither does it allow me to install a modem so that I can access internet. In most instances, it fails to execute the install command/click. (error: Install has generated an error).

Collapse -

Prerequisites

by TheChas In reply to Reply

What you are running into is the need to install "prerequisite" software and drivers before you can install anything else.

All of the hardware information software packages I have used only report devices that Windows has properly installed and registered. They will NOT tell you what specific devices still need drivers.

If you do not have driver disks for the system, you will need to download the drivers using another system and burn them to a CD.

While you are downloading drivers, also download Dot-Net framework 2.0 for Windows 2000 and Windows Installer for Windows 2000 from Microsoft.

As to the drivers, is this a name brand system or a custom built?

If it is a name brand, and you are confident that the hardware is original, you should be able to identify what drivers you need at the manufactures support page.

If it is custom made, you will need to open the case and determine what hardware is there.

One last thing, it is possible that you have bad memory and that is causing the failures.

Chas

Back to Storage Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)