General discussion

Windows 2000 or ME

By greatest1 ·
What is the difference between Windows 2000 and Windows ME? Also, if I buy Windows ME or 2000, how do you install it? Is it like installing Win9X? I usually copy the Win9x folder to my hard drive and load it from there.
Thanks.......

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 or ME

by gazza-sa In reply to Windows 2000 or ME

Hi,
I have just finished comparing ME & W2K Pro on the same system and I found that particually the internet configuration of W2K is better.
On the other hand ME is better for older based programs IE games.
ME is setup by running the setup command from the CD and is very similar to Win9x from there, whilst W2K is setup from winnt in the i386 directory on the cd, if your cd is capabile of booting it is best left to do the setup itself.

Hope this helps

Collapse -

Windows 2000 or ME

by greatest1 In reply to Windows 2000 or ME

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 or ME

by petemcc In reply to Windows 2000 or ME

ME is basically a 98 upgrade, 2000 is based on NT (it was called NT5 during development)and is generally more stable. 2000 is intended and better suited for networked environments, offering more administrative options and increased security. Some reviews I have read refer to problems when upgrading systems to ME but not as much with a clean install.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 or ME

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 or ME

by eBob In reply to Windows 2000 or ME

WinME is the upgrade for the "consumer" track of Windoze, i.e., Win9x.

W2K is essentially an upgarde to NT4. As mentioned in another post, it was called NT5. It brings a fresher interface to NT, and USB support.

For business systems, W2K is amuch better choice. It is much more stable than ME, and has many excellent security features, building on what was available in NT.

ME can be a better choice for the home PC, especially if you're running some legacy games.

While it is possibleto "upgrade" a Win9x system to ME, or NT4 to W2K, upgrades are always best performed as new installs when possible.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 or ME

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 or ME

by ChrisTOTG In reply to Windows 2000 or ME

Some things not mentioned in previous answers:

Win2k is very well suited to technical home users. It's the most stable Windows OS to date and can easily stay up without a reboot for a month, even with a great deal of use. DOS based and older windows-based games or software may or may not run properly. Your mileage may vary.

Win2k Pro will support a dual-processor machine quite well. You can build a dual celeron or dual Pentium 3 for less than you'd think.

The directory to copy for a hard drive install is \i386. If you are installing Win2k from DOS as your post seems to suggest, you need to run WINNT.EXE, but if you are upgrading from within any version of Windows, you need to run WINNT32.EXE.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 or ME

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 or ME

by tyson_worldwide In reply to Windows 2000 or ME

The difference between WinMe and W2K, is that Win Me is the upgrade to Win98 and W2K is the upgrade to WINNT Workstation. To install either, all you have to do is to put the installation CD into your CD drive and boot your system and set your CD drive as the primary boot drive. Then follow the instruction. Of course it will help if you kindda make sure your devices are on the Microsoft HCL such that you get support from Microsoft if you have any issues.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 or ME

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next