General discussion

Windows 2000 Pro

By terro ·
I am setting up a simple peer to peer network using Win2K pro as the server for the data access. No internet or IIS setup is needed. I am assigning 192.168.0.x IP address's. The workstations (win9 are all setup for the specified workgroup. My question here is why can't the pc's talk to eachother without having NETBEUI installed? A simple TCP/IP setup is all I should need (or so I thought) any configs on the 2000 Pro server I need to look at?? or any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

by BeerMonster In reply to Windows 2000 Pro

On your win2k box, look at network settings \ TCP\IP properties \ advanced \ WINS tab. ensure that netbios over tcp\ip is enabled. By default 2000 doesn't use netbios (only windows sockets) which is where I think your problems may lie. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

by terro In reply to Windows 2000 Pro

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

by reference In reply to Windows 2000 Pro

Do you have File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed? I thinks it's installed by default on the win2kPro system, but not on 95/98. Also, you will need to set up user accounts on the win2kPro machine for each user to be able to access files/printers shared from the 2kPro machine.
Can you ping the other machines? If you drop to a DOS prompt and type
ping 192.168.0.x
you should receive a "reply from ...." If you get a "timed out" reponse, then TCP/IP is not working properly. The only other thing I can think of is setting your primary logon to Microsoft Networks.
Hope this helps..

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)