General discussion

Windows 2000 Pro

By dmcelyea ·
I have installed Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Pro. I noticed that both have a builtin defrag utility. What I want to do is run this utility from a batch file, which I do not know how to create. I tried to set it up with the Task Sched. but all it does is start the program it does not launch. Is there any way that a person could set the Task Sched. to start the batch file at a specific time every day and launch the defrag utility. We use Diskeeper on all the Windows Nt 4.0 machines which has a set it and forget it. Would like to use the built in defrag utility for Win 2000 and set it and forget it.

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

by Jim_Unger In reply to Windows 2000 Pro

I have not worked with 2K but on all other systems find the name of the actual defrag program (more often called defrag) and it's location. You could use the properties tab on the shortcut to do this, then create the batch file. Someone told me that 2k does not have a dos mode but takes dos commands, I'm not sure so use the run option if it has that and put in "copy con c:\XXX\defrag.bat" were XXX is the directory were you want to keep it. I usually make a seperate directory for this stuff to keep track of it. When you get the dos prompt, type in the location of the defrag program such as "c:\windows\defrag.exe", hit the F6 key, then enter. Batch file done! Point the Task Sched to the batch file and away it goes. You could create the batch file on another machine if need be, but using the location from the 2k machine, and copy it to the directory on the 2k machine then setup Task Sched,

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

by dmcelyea In reply to Windows 2000 Pro

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

by DC1 In reply to Windows 2000 Pro

The defragment utility is a "lite" version from www.diskeeper.com. There is no way to schedule this from the command line. If you want it to be scheduled one option is to buy the full version from diskeeper which allows you to schedule maintenance.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

by Greg Hayes/Raxco Software In reply to Windows 2000 Pro

Download: AutoDeFrag v 1.2 http://www.morphasys.com/autodefrag/

Make sure your Task Scheduler service is running. Go to Control Panel ->
Administrative Tools -> Services. Put the task scheduler to Automatic and start it.

1. Go to Start->Programs->Accessories-> System Tools - Scheduled Tasks
2. Double click "Add Scheduled Task"
3. Click Next
4. Click Browse
5. Go to folder that contains the program "autodefrag".
6. Double click it.
7. Select for when you want to schedule the program [daily, weekly, etc] and click Next
8. Select start time and date
9. Enter administrators username and password and click Next
11. Mark the box "Open advance properties for this task when I click finish".
12. In the Run window add the drive you want to defrag like "autodefrag d:".
13. Click Finish

Repeat the process to schedule different drives at different date/times.

You can also schedule the defrag using command prompt at command
at 3:00 /interactive /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su "autodefrag x:"
where x: is the drive letter for the drive you want to defragment."

Scheduling isn't the only limitation of the built-in defragger. It also cannot defragment the pagefile and cannot defragment the Master File Table on NTFS partitions. On FAT partitions, it also cannot defragment directories. If you want that capability, you will need to purchase a
commercial product:

PerfectDisk 2000 - www.raxco.com
Diskeeper - www.execsoft.com
O&O Defrag - www.oo-defrag.com
Ontrack - www.ontrack.com
SpeedDisk - www.symantec.com

If you would like further information about the capabilities of the above defraggers, please let me know.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk 2000, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Pro

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)