General discussion

Windows 2000 Pro Freezing

By J. Bender ·
I have a Dell Optiplex GX110 with 192MB Ram, and a 20GB harddrive, running w2kpro sp1. The system will hang and lockup with absolutly no error messages and require a hard reboot. The problem seems to occur whenever I am transfering a large ammountof data from the network (either NT 4.0 or Netware 4.11 server). This question is of great importance to me, thats why the points are so high. I have already checked for network and video card drivers and have updated both. All help is appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by virtuman In reply to Windows 2000 Pro Freezing

The easiest thing to do first is to swap out hardware to eliminate that as a cause. Also check the BIOS and check to see what CAS your RAM is set at. Eliminate the hardware first: CPU, RAM then different NIC.

Collapse -

by J. Bender In reply to Windows 2000 Pro Freezing

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by 16Years In reply to Windows 2000 Pro Freezing

1) Check the network protocols and make sure that you are at the latest settings...for example: I use a 3com fast etherlink xl NIC and it needs to be set at 802.3 for the frame type.

2) make sure that if you are using TCP/IP that you are set correctly with whatever the server is using, such as DHCP and WINS.

3) Take the graphics acceleration down one notch on the slider. (Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshooting/Hardware Acceleration)

If that does not work, reduce the resolution to the next level down, ie: if you have it set for 32 bit color, take it down to 24 bit color, and then 16 bits.

I had the same problem...I reduced the resolution first and then downed the acceleration.

This seems to be an AGP related problem-and all drivers were updated and I still had problems until I got the resolution and graphics acceleration down.

You can also email me directly.

Collapse -

The video card seemed to do the trick. Even though I had already disabled acceleration, looks like it was the color depth. I haven't locked up for two days now. Better than once or twice a day for locking up.

Collapse -

by felipe In reply to Windows 2000 Pro Freezing

Replace the Network interface card. It is not sustaining or handling large throughput. The status icon in the systray should tell you the sent and received packets and you can get a ratio from this.
If possible, I would first isolate the OS or hardware. Load win98 on this machine and network it. Then transfer the same large amount of data that locked up using Win2k. If you are able to successfully transfer large amounts of data, then your hardware is fine. But if you still can't, then the problem is in your hardware. I would swap out the NIC first.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)