General discussion

WIndows 2000 Pro & NT Stype Policies

By wmr02 ·
My network consists of windows a Windows NT 4.0 Domain with (predominantly) Windows 9x clients. We need to add Win2k Pro clients to the network and would like to push Windows NT style policies to the Win2k Pro Workstations to enable us to centrallymanage the workstation policies. At this time upgrading the Domain to a Win2k mixed mode domain or a Win2k Native mode domain is not an option.

A white paper on the Technet website indicates that there is a "switch" that can be set to enable WinNT type policies on Win2k workstations. I have been unable to determine exactly what must be set and
to what it must be set to.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to WIndows 2000 Pro & NT Sty ...

I am understanding that Win2k Pro machines joined to a NT4 domain will process the ntconfig.pol policies. If the machine determines the domain is AD it will ignore the ntconfig.pol and try to only process GPO's. I am not aware of any manual switch.

Collapse -

by wmr02 In reply to WIndows 2000 Pro & NT Sty ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by mphoffar In reply to WIndows 2000 Pro & NT Sty ...

One in essence is correct. But just to add to that, we use a line in our login batches that says

If "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" Goto WINNT

to copy a local policy down to a station and then use then let the station use that. 2000 should has the same designation. Doing an echo %OS% should confirm this for you.

Hope this helps

Mark

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)