General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Windows 2000 Pro reinstalation

by sbnetsec ·

Can windows 2000 pro be reinstalled over the previous installation without loosing anything?

… I not longer do windows stuff but I need an answer for this one.
    Thanks

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by emcs ·

In reply to Windows 2000 Pro reinstalation

When you start the re-installation, it will ask you for the location. If you want the same location, it will remove the directories and files that you currently have. Unless there is a hotfix that I do not know about you will lose everything.

Depending on what you are doing, before re-installing, you can renamed the Win2000 (Windows) directory, and then perform the install. You still need to re-install all applications. You may be able to copy some files from the renamed directory, but you are working with a different registry.

Unless there is a fix, you would lose all of your previous information.

If there is another way of re-installing an OS, I would like to know about it.

Good Luck

dennie

by bohicam1 ·

Reinstalling an operating system over another will rewrite the system files. In other words, you will have a refreshed windows install, none of your programs or previously installed drivers will work. Main thing you want to know is if your data willstill be there….the answer is yes…but….you really should back it up, just in case the reinstall goes wacky. Another thing to note is, if there was a virus/trojan present before, chances are it will still be there.
      Good luck!!

Mike

by sbnetsec ·

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Viewing 2 reply threads