General discussion

Windows 2000 Pro VS. Windows XP Pro

By Bratt ·
Our company is considering moving from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro but are trying to put together some facts like:
1. Advantages of XP VS. 2000.
2. ROI Information.
3. Compatability issues in a networking environment with XP.
4. Benefits of XP VS. Windows 2000.
Just a little FYI. No this is not for a school project I am looking for answers that come from experience with Windows XP that we don't have that's all. Any help would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

30 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

HCL Issues

The biggest reason I've found for keeping users on Win2K is the Hardware Compatibility.

Some motherboards, not on the HCL, are still okay to use with 2000, but are failure points on XP.

I worked on one system with an Elite Motherboard, and a Radeon AGP card. It was impossible to get the system to boot up correctly with the Radeon card - even though it's on the HCL.

Removing it left the system working, installing it made the system crash - so I thought it was the video card.

It turns out that a LOT of non-HCL compliant motherboards were used to build Win2K machines - but are unusable with XP. The fault lies in the AGP controllers on the board arguing with the ones on the video card.

Collapse -

Corporate XP expereince here!

by house In reply to Windows 2000 Pro VS. Wind ...

Some people think that xp is a bloated 2k. Somewhat true. You are going to have to work with it to find the new locations of very familiar utilities (they are in the same spots, but some are organized in a differnet fashion).

If you have a standard lifecycle for your machines, XP should be ok. Xp can be tailored to a standard image that is actually a lot faster than 2k. Disable the pretty colors and special effects. We run mostly XP machines with a minimum of; 256ram - 500cpu - 6gb hd. Our images are equipped with common appz, sp1, and an RPC hotfix. You will have to run some labs to test the compatibility between xp, the updates, and your current software. Block windows update with policies and use 3rd party patchlink to apply the updates that have been tested properly (if your organization is huge).

My advice...just do a couple of machines, keep the old boxes in a safe place, and let your clients work with the new XP in their daily routine. Once the myths and fears have been cleared up, start some more on xp.

What kind of network do you have? Are we talking about AD? Do you have internal appz? We have too many servers to mention - nt servers, 2000 servers, 2003 servers, an old Novell box that's still kickin' - all that with clients on NT4 (almost gone), 9x (almost gone too), 2k (about 10% left), and a majority of xp.

PS...if you are going to upgrade, now is the time, unless you want to wait for longhorn...2006->7->8?!?!?!?

Collapse -

Network Specs

by Bratt In reply to Corporate XP expereince h ...

We are currently running on Novell 4.11 A.D. We have two Windows 2000 servers that we use for mail, antivius and network backup. We also have a linux server. Some computer systems have been custom built for certain users such as our Cad and Master Cam engineers which are running AMD 64 3400 w/ 1gig ram and Wildcat VP880 cards that have 256 of mem.

Collapse -

Update to XP

by Vetch_101 In reply to Network Specs

Windows XP SP2 is far better from an administration stand-point.
It is more configurable with system policies, in terms of security settings (including the Windows Firewall which is a phenomenal improvement on anything that's come before). You can easily setup group policies to allow terminal services remote administration allowed from only one particular ip address (yours) for installations, fixes, etc.
The only thing is that it can be slow on machines with less than 256mb of ram... It sounds like your machines are more than capable of standing it...
Btw - I've haven't found a piece of hardware that XP doesn't recognise from before 2000 - including legacy ISA decives!

Collapse -

Sorry that I can not remember the model number

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Update to XP

But there is a Samsung DVD Reader that was sold with a XP Pro {Original Version} that just didn't allow the system to work when SP1 was applied. What happened was that the driver on the reader caused the MBR's to be destroyed durring the update. Believe me that is something that I'm not going to forget for a very long time.

Also quite a lot of CDRW's fell into the same boat MS KB has a long list of these items. A lot of these things can be made compatible with a firmware update of course if one is available.

Col

Collapse -

Ah... a fellow tradesman!

by house In reply to Network Specs

Ah...Novell 4.11 - AKA - IntraNetWare. I'm assuming that it hasn't been patched to a later revision.

XP , just as 2k, ships with the client. There is also a free download for an advanced client for 2k and xp. If you've been using 2k, you're good for xp, no matter what protocol you're using.

I honestly didn't expect you (or anyone) to quote those kinds of specs.

If you want to start integrating MS AD with your Novell system, you will need to upgrade from 4.11, but you probably aren't thinking that at all.

It's funny that I should run into a fellow tradesman here. I started my schooling as a CNC machinist, but I didn't want to work through a four year apprenticeship. I really enjoyed the manual design, math, plotting, and programming aspect of the work...I just didn't want to wait 20 years before I got off the assembly line.

Collapse -

Are you just considering a software upgrade or a complete upgrade?

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Windows 2000 Pro VS. Wind ...

If it's the first stick with Y2k until the Tax has been written off so that these boxes are no longer viable to run as most likely you will find a myriad of Compatibly issues with XP.

This is not limited just to the M'Boards but to almost every component and even if the basic XP will work after you apply SP1 things may not work. Do not believe the tool provided by M$ to check for compatibility either as it only apples to the original version of XP {believe me I learnt that one the hard way.} If you are looking at the latest version of XP it comes with SP2 already on the CD and is likely to cause far more problems than you can think of with the old hardware.

If things are working OK now and you are not looking at a major hardware upgrade stick with the Y2K boxes until you need to replace them and then do the upgrade as a complete new install on new hardware that way it will save you a lot of time and heart ache.

You never know but by that time Longhorn just might be released and you'll be looking at a new range of problems.

Col

Collapse -

by house In reply to Are you just considering ...

You're right. The main issue with the question is that we don't know enough about the network and clients to be able to assess the situation. If it is fully functional and running smoothly, don't bother upgrading. If you have all 2k machines, and you subscribe to the mass purchase and implementation technique, it is a general rule of thumb to skip a generation when dealing with MS.

I don't know about your organization, but in a large environment the best way to deal with your workstations are;
a) buy a lot of the same model machine
b) take one machine and install everything, including devices, appz, and patches
c) run sys-prep to ready it for deployment
d) copy the image to a network share
e) use a network boot disk to copy the image on a clean machine

*A solid system of standards is key to avoid headaches when dealing with compatibility issues.

Collapse -

My logic

by Bratt In reply to

Tell me if I am wrong in my thinking but I was going to start slowly filtering in Windows XP with the new systems we brought in so that overtime we could gain hands on experience in our own environment. No two networks are ever going to be the same so what works for one company may not work for another with simular software and servers right? so in keeping with this thought wouldn't it be safe to say the best way to find out is by slowly filtering in a couple of systems and give them to two people who are computer savy that can explain in technical terms "yes this works but . . ". I have bought a new system for myself and put XP on it and it works great with Novell and I have found only one issue so far and that has been with my Nero burning software but this is minor and can be easily fixed. I have found more benifits with XP than with 2000 so far but agian I am only one person with different apps than everyone else.

Collapse -

Filter in the XP

by house In reply to My logic

Yes. I agree that the best way to convert your clients is to slowly introduce the new OS. Leave it as a task that is always there for you and pick at it when you get the opportunity.

Nero has more numbers after the "." than any other company I've seen. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm assuming that your clients don't have cd roasting as one of their main job functions.

Give a couple of XP boxes to non technical users. People who aren't comfortable with the PC will find more problems and do stranger things than someone who is 100% competent. Use these "users" as a tool to develop the policy standards that you want to enforce.

Back to Windows Forum
30 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next