General discussion

Windows 2000 pro, will not shut down

By tubby34 ·
I am running windows 2000 pro. When I try to shut the down,I get a blue screen across the whole monitor. I have enabled power magement as recomendaed by another QnA responce. Any ideas??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rawright In reply to Windows 2000 pro, will no ...

At a Microsoft briefing last year they emphasized that the power management BIOS functions must be absolutely compliant with the latest standard, else this type of failure will occur. Disable all power management (Win2K and BIOS Setup) and see how it behaves. If it works, enable it in Win2K only and check with your motherboard vendor to see if there is a flash upgrade available.

Collapse -

by tubby34 In reply to Windows 2000 pro, will no ...

You hit the nail right on the head. I upgraded the bios with the latest and greates from the vendors website(during a thunder storm, no less) and disabled power management. And I have not had a problem since.

Thanks

Collapse -

by ab3_tek In reply to Windows 2000 pro, will no ...

Defenatly upgrade BIOS to the latest and greatest as vendors are adding WIN2k support to them. Next chech the services and tasks that are running and make sure that nothing funny is hogging memory. I had a graphics card management proggie that wouldnot release its resources at shut down before, resulting in a hang.

Collapse -

I upgraded the Bios but there were a few more steps I had to follow in order for this issue to dissapear(someone else got them all). You had half the answer. Thank you fo your effort.

Joe

Collapse -

by pcastong In reply to Windows 2000 pro, will no ...

An application may have stalled, stop responing. Before shutting down check the task manager. Also I've known sound and video drivers or their links to get corrupted. Try reloading the sound drivers first.

Collapse -

This was not the answer. It was actually located within the bios and power management. Thank you for your answer, just the same.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)