General discussion

Windows 2000 Pro won't boot to Safe Mode

By neala ·
Windows 2000 Pro SP3 system will not boot fully into Safe Mode. It gets to the black Safe Mode screen, but just before displaying the Windows logon it reboots. My computer boots normally and I can boot to the Recovery Console. Any quick fix for this problem other than an in-place upgrade of the operating system?

It recently had a problem booting up at all, had to run chkdsk twice from the Recovery Console. The STOP error message then was 0x0000007A, KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. Running chkdsk seems to have fixed that problem, but did report "one or more unrecoverable problems".

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mgonzales In reply to Windows 2000 Pro won't bo ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/prork/prhd_exe_qofl.asp

Try this.

Collapse -

by neala In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by neala In reply to Windows 2000 Pro won't bo ...

Thanks, I saw this article and the error code indicatied a Bad block. An I/O status code of 0xC000009C normally indicates the data cannot be read from the disk due to a bad block (sector).

I did use the Recovery Console and ran Chkdsk /r. This has not helped the no Safe Mode boot problem.

From the Microsoft article: "Stop 0x7A is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware."

Will changing my page file fix the no Safe Mode problem?

Collapse -

by neala In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by glennmerrell In reply to Windows 2000 Pro won't bo ...

Has there been any hardware or software changes before this occured. Who is the manufacture of the machine?

Best thing to do is take everything out except for the HHD, Video card and only plug in the keyboard. Leave all other devices unplugged. Boot...see what happens.

Collapse -

by neala In reply to

Not sure what hardware/software changes have been made since the last time Safe Mode was run. I did add a Wireless USB adapter and Spybot software. Will remove them and see what happens.

Collapse -

Removed the Wireless USB adapter and Spybot software. Still won't boot into Safe Mode. The PC is a Compaq Presario 7110us, 1.3GHz, 256MB RAM with the most current BIOS. I don't know if it ever booted to Safe Mode as I never had the need to try it. Recovery Console does work.

I am tempted to do an in-place upgrade of the operating system, but hesitate as I use this PC for Network Admin tasks.

Collapse -

The hard drive has failed on this system, issue closed.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)