General discussion

Windows 2000 Professional Disk Cleanup

By nylesn ·
We have a few PCs with Windows 2000 Professional installed on which Disk Cleanup will not complete. On some occasions we get a program not responding indication but most of the time no indication of any problem is received. We have run a Disk Check and defrag. Cleanup has runn as much as 3-days without completing. Any ideas on how the get Disk Cleanup to run?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Oz_Media In reply to Windows 2000 Professional ...

Sounds like there is a disk write that is crashing things.
Shut down ALL running Applications in the Task Manager then click the Processes tab and shut down any monitoring tools, antivirus etc. this will clean running processes from the system tray.
Also, you can click the items in the system tray and disable most of them.
Let me know how you make out and I'll offer further help if I can.

Collapse -

by nylesn In reply to Windows 2000 Professional ...

I followed Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 812248. This had me delete the Registry key for Compress old files under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCashes.

Collapse -

by susdi In reply to Windows 2000 Professional ...

Start up the PC in Safe Mode. Run Disk Cleanup utilities then. With no programs running in the background, it should happen quickly.

Collapse -

This is one of the many attempts I made - running in the Safe Mode.
I followed Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 812248. This had me delete the Registry key for Compress old files under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCashes.

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)