Question

Windows 2000 Professional Password protection

By markagraham ·
I have a laptop I have given to my 5 year old and for some reason when it is started I have a "Log-In" prompt from Windows and I do not remember setting up a password and without the user name and password I can not use the computer. Is there a way to disable the password and get into the computer?

Please Help!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

TR members do not assist with password recovery.

by ---TK--- In reply to Windows 2000 Professional ...

TR members do not assist with password recovery.
The members of TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals, will not assist anyone in the recovery of lost passwords. You may have a legitimate reason to recover a password. However, we cannot verify your motives and will therefore not assist anyone in what may be an attempt at gaining unauthorized access to a computer system. Due to the open nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that we the members of TechRepublic will not take. Please do not ask questions of this nature on TechRepublic.

If you have a legitimate need to circumvent a password scheme, please contact the vendor for the software / hardware and request their assistance. E.g. Windows XP password recovery issues should be taken up with Microsoft's technical support, Phoenix BIOS password recovery issues should be taken up with Phoenix Technologies, etc.. To those viewing this post: Please DO NOT respond any further to this thread.

This template has been released under the GNU public license and you are encouraged to use it as a standard reply for questions of similar nature, provided that you make any modifications available to other users.

Collapse -

Hey Mark

by LarryD4 In reply to Windows 2000 Professional ...

The only way to get the laptop working will be to restore it. In other words wipe the HD and get the installation CD and reinstall the OS.

It is possible to do this and not loose most of your data on it.

But their is no "legal" way to find out the password.

Is their any chance you or someone else installed the OS on the laptop?
If you do a straight install sometimes people leave the Administrator account with a blank password.

Collapse -

Password reply

by markagraham In reply to Hey Mark

Thanks Larry!
So I will just have to play with any password I could have used (if I put it in place to begin with)Do you know if there is something I can do through the screen I see by pushing F8 when WIndows loads. It has many Advanced Features there related to the operating system

If the answer if no on the above how would I go about wiping out the operating system and where would I get another? I have a single disc from another lap top that says its Windows XP but someone else said it was not the complete disc as it is what came from Dell when I purchased it and they had XP already loaded on it.

Collapse -

The disk from Dell

by Tig2 In reply to Password reply

Is your system restore. It will only work with the laptop that it shipped with. Don't try to use it on another system.

Do you have the restore disks for the laptop having the issue? If yes, you should be able to do your restore, no problem. If not, it is possible that the machine shipped with a restore partition. Without watching the boot cycle, I wouldn't know the proper key to press to get to it.

What Advanced Features are available to you?

Also- if the machine is under warranty, you may be able to get someone at Dell to walk you through the process.

Collapse -

Nope

by LarryD4 In reply to Password reply

The F8 key is the path to take to get in to the system BIOS and it won't lead you to disabling the Windows password. If its a Dell you can contact them, give them the service tag on the back of the laptop and they will send you exactly what you need to get it up and running.

The disk you have, if its a "Dell" disk will get you going, but you'll need the "Device Driver" disk to finish the re-install.

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)