General discussion

Windows 2000 Professional won't startup!

By scott ·
I just installed windows 2K prof. on a brand new formated 40 gig harddrive. Everything was working fine and it was starting up fine until this afternoon. I have not changed anything and it won't start up.

It gets stuck on the screen where it has the progress bar and says windows is starting. The progress bar moves a few bars and then gets stuck in the same place.

I was able to startup in safe mode but that took a long time.

Why would it start up one minute and not the next? Especially since I have not changed anything.

Could this be a virus problem or a device problem.

Can your bios get infected with a virus?

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Windows 2000 Professional ...

Could be a number of things,but if it is hanging then it may point to a hardware driver problem,check the memory and then video drivers to make sure you have W2K drivers.
Try booting the computer and choosing to boot with last known good configuration
The other option is to use the setup disk and reinstall the files then you will want to choose the Repair installation
Check the bios and make sure that you have the latest update.

Collapse -

by scott In reply to Windows 2000 Professional ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Stillatit In reply to Windows 2000 Professional ...

Do you have some device attached to the computer (scanner, zip drive, printer, etc.) which is turned off or has been removed, unplugged, or otherwise disconnected? Turn on all peripherals and make sure they are connected before you start the computer.

I have seen this problem with older versions of Windows, particularly with scsi devices. I am not sure that W2K is subject to it.

Good luck

Collapse -

Collapse -

by TimTheToolMan In reply to Windows 2000 Professional ...

During that period of the boot, the PC is doing its device detection. If its hanging there, I'd suggest some sort of hardware problem.

As the machine is so new, I would guess that you have a loose connection somewhere and suggest you re-seat the cards and cables.

Of course, if you're not comfortable with playing with the internals, then find a friend who is - and has had experience.

Try to use a static mat if at all possible and I cant stress enough the need to totally remove the powercord from the PC when doing it!

Cheers,
Tim.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Hardware Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)