General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Windows 2000 RIS using Cisco 2900 Switch

by rippy ·

I wonder if anyone can help, I have used Microsoft’s RIS to distribute images using a plain 10mbit hub successfully. I now want to use one of Cisco’s nice 10/100mbit Catalyst 2900 switches to take over for quicker deployment but the client machines can’t even connect. I’m assuming Bootp isn’t working as it shows a message saying “DHCP Server could not be found” or words to that effect. The switch is straight out of the box with no mods. Does anyone have any ideas on getting this working? Do I need to do any configuring for the switch?

Thanks in advance for any help.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by lhollister ·

In reply to Windows 2000 RIS using Cisco 2900 Switch

The first thing I would do is get the configuration utility for the Client NICs and change the connection speed. Try auto negotiate, force it to 10 MB, force it to 100 MB and see if the clients will connect.
      If the port on the switch if configuredto force 100 MB and the client is configured to force 10 MB, the client will not connect to the server and you will get a “No DHCP request received” error on the client.

Also, the clients should be booting PXE, not BOOTP.

Lee

by rippy ·

Thanks for the info, I tried it but it didn’t solve my problem. I’ve consulted the software manuals rigorously (again) and found it was a problem with the defualt setting of “spanning-tree portfast”. The switch was detecting what sort of device was connecting (router/PC…) and the DHCP detection timed out.

by rippy ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 1 reply thread