General discussion

Windows 2000 running slow

By sysadmin ·
One of my users recently had an upgrade to windows2000 from windows98. After the upgrade, his system is running extremely slow. Boot up process takes alot longer too.
He has an IBM Thinkpad 570 (128MB or RAM/ 12GB of hard disk). Please advise ifanyone has any ideas. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Berserker In reply to Windows 2000 running slow

Try to do a full install rather than an upgrade, try to defrag your harddisk.
Have you set an permanent swap file for the Windows 2000. You must at least set the swap file at 128 MB. The Thinkpad may also be doing something in the background such as antivirus s/w. Try to unload as much application that you don't need at start up.

Collapse -

by sysadmin In reply to Windows 2000 running slow

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by bstei18 In reply to Windows 2000 running slow

I agree with answer #1. Do a full install instead of an upgrade with Windows 98. We've tried that at our company on a few machines and quickly found that the upgrade just doesn't work. Make sure you have Win2K drivers for your system. Check IBM's web site for possible Win2K conflicts with some of the pre-installed software.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bstei18 In reply to Windows 2000 running slow

I agree with answer #1. Do a full install instead of an upgrade with Windows 98. We've tried that at our company on a few machines and quickly found that the upgrade just doesn't work. Make sure you have Win2K drivers for your system. Check IBM's web site for possible Win2K conflicts with some of the pre-installed software.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Windows 2000 running slow

Windows 2k operating systems run in two different modes to accomplish tasks,depending on the number of tasks and the services that are running in the background can cause the OS to run slow.Anti-virus will also cause the system to run slow,note the functions or tasks at the time computer starts running slow and make adjustments.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by janfe In reply to Windows 2000 running slow

Hi

I've just been through the same problem with my own IBM 390X with 128 Mb ram installed.

I beleive you are experiencing the same problem as I...

My previous installation of Win2K WAS a clean install ( although from Win98 ), yet it used up150 Mb before any applications were started. That is to say it was needing the swap file even for background processes.

Speaking of processes. In task manager, I could only sum up about 50Mb in processes running, with no unneccesary services. Whatever took up the rest of the 150 Mb I have only some vague ideas ( read: office 2000)

Anyhow...
What I think you should do is to make a clean install of Win2k. Then make sure to look closely at how much memory is used. Then install any other applications you need, closely watching the memory on your system after each installation.

IF you use Office 2000, be very careful when installing it. I suspect it to be a memoryhog.

Also, make sure youre system has a big enough swap file. According to the network folks at my company ( I'm a developer ), a decent size is X Mb RAM times two plus 12Mb.

Hope this helps...

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next