General discussion

WINDOWS 2000/SBS 2000 LICENSING USAGE E

By ILoveNetworking ·
Hi,

I have a W2K DC with 20 client licenses. I only have 1 printer and 15 W2K PRO PCs. I keep getting an error from the license manager and every time I check the license usage it's between 27-30. I applied SP2 and the problem persists. I know that I can probably switch to per "seat mode" but I'm not licensed for that and don't want to bring the licensing up to 50 if I'm not paying for it either. PLEASE HELP!

I've got the same issue with SBS 2000. Unlike W2K you cannot just add licenses without having a license disk!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Gale In reply to WINDOWS 2000/SBS 2000 LI ...

I has a similar situation w/SBS 4.53. They was running into errors with Exchange saying there was no licenses available. They also had users that was interns. I corrected the problem by changing the settings in User Mgr so that it did not add a mailbox for every user that was added. I also had to delete users that was no longer part of the organization because they still had mailboxes on the server. This is where I would start anyway.

Collapse -

by ILoveNetworking In reply to WINDOWS 2000/SBS 2000 LI ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to WINDOWS 2000/SBS 2000 LI ...

Couple of issues here:
First -- You are mixing up "per server" and "per seat" licensing modes. In "per server" mode, you need the number of licenses = number of clients X number of servers being accessed. In "per seat" mode, you need one license per client computer, regardless of the number of servers.
Second -- License manager is not required for Win2K to operate properly. If you are sure you have the proper licenses you can turn of License Manager by turning off the License Logging Service and changing its startup type property to either manual or disabled.
If you are also running SBS, there may be another issue involved as it is limited to only a fixed number of concurrent connections.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums