General discussion

Windows 2000 Security

By cacmk5 ·
I want to know if there is way to **** away the Windows 2000 security if the local adim password is not known. There is no other account created on the PC. I need to get into the PC without losing the data on it.

E-Mail: cthomas@gleason.com

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Security

by RCC In reply to Windows 2000 Security

Usualy you can do a recovery install and chose to overwrite the SAM. This will reset the admin password and you will not lose data.
Regards,
Radu

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Security

by cacmk5 In reply to Windows 2000 Security

RCC,

I have tried to perform a repair but W2K doesn't give me that option. NT 4.0 did that but W2K won't. Any other suggestions.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Security

by rjbachm In reply to Windows 2000 Security

The NT password changer (special linux boot disk) works on Win2K also. It will let you change the administrator password. I have the disk at home if you can't find it online.
Randy

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Security

Hey that helped out allot. I had to find the rawrite file first in order for the disk to work but once I had that, I was able to crack the code. Thank you.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Security

by ChannonP In reply to Windows 2000 Security

If the machine is networked you can change the local admin (or any other come to that) password from an other machine using cusrmgr that comes with 2k res kit.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Security

That would be nice but the laptop is not part of my domain. It was setup by a user that intended to keep it after purchasing it with company funds. I need to get into it so I can gather application information off it. Thank you for the response.I to thought of using your idea to, but there is no domain setup for it.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Security

by mike_mds In reply to Windows 2000 Security

Please check out the following article:

http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO57810,00.html

If you don't need the user accounts on the machine, this might work for you (I haven't had the misfortune of personally needing this procedure yet...)

Hope it works....let me know.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Security

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Security

This question was closed by the author

Back to Security Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)