General discussion

Windows 2000 Server

By bfeltus ·
I have a windows 2000 server that is not part of a domain. (no dns, no active directory).It's a member server. I cannot find where to put login scripts. There is no subdirectory called \winnt\system32\repl\imports\.
I have a subdirectory called \winnt\system32. I have a login script batch file that I want users to use. I put this batch file "apps.bat" in the user profile. I want to copy this file to a subdirectory call \progs on drive d of the server with the partition (volume) name of DATA. Itried to put the following path in the user's profile: d:\progs\apps.bat. I received a message that this was not a valid relative path. I also put this batch file in \winnt\system32 and just put "apps.bat" in the users profile. It still would not run. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

by pmckinney4 In reply to Windows 2000 Server

I would try the following path

\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol\domainname\scripts

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

by bfeltus In reply to Windows 2000 Server

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

by r_tibor In reply to Windows 2000 Server

IF you are trying to use login scripts, use group policy.
1. Make a group policy or use the local one if not in a domain.
2. Go to Either User or Machine Configuration,
--> Windows Settings --> Scripts
3. Open it up then double click on logon/logoff scripts and add your script.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

by Joseph Moore In reply to Windows 2000 Server

You have to put the file APPS.BAT in a Shared folder on your Win2K server. You then put full shared folder UNC path in the login scrpit box for the users.
For example, say your Win2K box is called \\MYSERVER. And you physically save the BAT file onthe server at d:\progs\apps.bat
Now, SHARE OUT the Progs folder, and call the share PROGS.
Ok, open each users account, and in the Login Script Path box, put in:
\\MYSERVER\PROGS\APPS.BAT
Click OK.
That is it. Login scripts need to be in a shared folder for the login process to access them and run them. In the NT4 world, they went in the NETLOGON share on the PDC, but they could have gone in ANY SHARED FOLDER ON ANY MACHINE.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

by Joseph Moore In reply to Windows 2000 Server

Now, the only thing to keep in mind for this setup is that you will have to assign the domain user accounts rights on the shared folder on your Win2K member server. Since the Win2K server is NOT a member of your domain, what you will need to do is opne the Security tab on the Progs folder, click Add and then, in the domain drop-down box, change it from the Win2K machine name to your domain name. Then add the Domain Users group, so all of your domain users can access the share. If you only want some users to access the share for their login script, then only put them in. Save the changes.

That is it

hope this helps

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)