Question

Windows 2000 Server

By richard.m.hyatt ·
I recently was hired as the server administrator for a company running 50 computers. Their backup server is running Windows Server 2000. They run DOS scripts that create backup files to a building in another location. I am used to using server 2003. Second question is, that every time a new employee is hired their is about 14 scripts to type in and I was wondering if there is a way to where I only have to write one?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

What's first Question?

by bincarnato In reply to Windows 2000 Server

There maybe a way to have to write one but the million dollar question is what do each of the logon scripts do? At a minimum you should be able to combine it into one script. If it maps drives to user shares then you may be able to replace "net use x: \\servername\users\john" with "net use x: \\servername\users\%username%". The problem may be that John's user share is named John but when he logs on to his PC he uses the username "jsmith". There are several of these variables that can be used, I just mention that one because it illustrates the point best.

Collapse -

Batch

by richard.m.hyatt In reply to What's first Question?

I left a part out in my original question. There are batch files which have been created and are schedule to start at specific times. These batch files copy files from employees shared folders to an off site server for backup. Every time a new employee starts, I have to go into each bat file (about 11) and write two scripts each file. I was wondering if I can reduce the amount of scripts I have to write. Each bat file run at times such as: daily, weekly, yearly. Each day of the week has its own bat file.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

by jwilliams In reply to Windows 2000 Server

Only see one question here. "Second question is, that every time a new employee is hired their is about 14 scripts to type in and I was wondering if there is a way to where I only have to write one?" You can write a batch file that executes all these scripts

Collapse -

A META-Batch

by Dumphrey In reply to Windows 2000 Server

file that calls each with the needed parameters?
Or if you need to add changes to the file, write a batch file to automate the process by using a variable input.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)