General discussion

Windows 2000 Server

By adrehman ·
Hello All,

I have Windows 2000 Server for my office?s local network and I have more then 20 workstation running windows 98 and windows 2000 pro.

My Current IP Address Scheme is like 2.2.2.1 to 2.2.2.224 and subnet is 255.255.255.0
And now I have a dialup account for that internet usage.
So we use Wingate for internet connection sharing from server.

Know I don?t want to use Wingate any more I want to use windows 2000 internet connection sharing and I want to enable all kind of connectivity to the internet from all workstation e.g. telnet to the www.xyz.com, ftp to the www.xyz.com, ping to the www.xyz.com and alse MSN messanger and others.

at the end i am lost i as i am following the documents. i trund one workstation on DHCPthat gives me that IP Address 196.254.252.53 and subnet is 255.255.0.0 no gateway.

how can i give gateway entery to my workstation from server from DHPC.

or what i can do.

Adrehman

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

by rawright In reply to Windows 2000 Server

First, the address range you're using is inappropriate. Use DHCP on the clients. In Control Panel, Network and Dial-up Connections, enable sharing of the Server's connection. The Server should use an address on the internal interface of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Clients will be assigned address 192.168.0.2 thru 192.168.0.254, subnet 255.255.255.0, with a DNS proxy address of 192.168.0.1. Note that this is the only address range supported by ICS, and the client addresses must be assigned by the server, not hard-coded.

The external interface (the one attached to the Internet) will have either a fixed address, or an ISP-assigned dynamic address, depending upon your ISP. There is no need to change that setting.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

by adrehman In reply to Windows 2000 Server

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

by Shepster In reply to Windows 2000 Server

I would like to add an additional note to the above. I have, in the past, considered using Windows' ICS, but the security risks outweighed the benefits. I just wanted to thow a quick note that if you are connecting a Win2K server live to the internet and sharing it's connection to all your workstations with no firewall, you will probably hate yourself in the long run. I would highly suggest that if this is for a business or for use in any situation where you do not wish the network to be hacked that you investigate a firewall solution (whether a build-it-yourself Linux box or one of the many commercial firewalls available - Cisco PIX, Watchguard Firebox, etc. Would not recommend a Windows Software Firewall though). Many of the hardware firewalls have gotten extremely user friendly and include setup assistance with purchase. This gives you a lot more security and flexibility than using ICS and does not limit you to the 192.168.0.x address. Either way you go, you should not use a2.2.2.0 address as it is a public address and is not compliant with IANA specs. Reference "http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1**8.txt" for information on accepted private IP addresses (If you look on page 3 "Private Address Space", it will tell you which IP address ranges are compliant for private network use. Not being a stickler, but configuring your network to be compliant will save you headaches in the future. Imagine this scenario: Say that the internet IP address of www.google.com is 2.2.2.7 and you have seven PCs on your network, once you configure your network for internet sharing, you will either not be able to access google or not be able to send information to that PC. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Server

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)