General discussion

Windows 2000 server

By john_e_lobb ·
I am running an NT 4.0 sp6 network with only a few windows 2000 servers online. Is there any way to stop peaple from loading a 2000 server and it creating a computer account on my network without me knowing it. I keep finding Computer Accounts in mydomain that I did not create and the peaple that have loaded the machine does not have admin privileges. any idea why or what I can do to stop it?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 server

by estebandelatorre In reply to Windows 2000 server

Some of your users has either administrator, server operators or simply rights to create computer accounts into the doamin.
Or get physical access to the PDC or BDC
How to find them?
Go to user Manager for domains, policies, and find who can "ADDcomputers to Domain"
Remove them!

Collapse -

Windows 2000 server

by john_e_lobb In reply to Windows 2000 server

The peaple that have loaded the 2000 servers do not have admin access the my domain, they are users and are setupwith user rights only. that is why I'm so confused on how the where able to get the 2000 server in the domain. normaly i have to go to the win 2000 machine and add the computer account to the domain myself. but the win 2000 server is adding it without admin permisions.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 server

by schitzoid In reply to Windows 2000 server

change the admin password, force all in the admin group to change password at next loggon, or any one else with rights to add computers to domain. see if it stops...

Collapse -

Windows 2000 server

by schitzoid In reply to Windows 2000 server

ps, by create an account I assume you mean when you open server manager and choose show domain members only, this is where you are finding the offending machines, not just because you see them in network neighborhood under your domain, as you can put even a windows 3.11 machine here by just listing your domain name as the workgroup, but it doesn't make it a memmber...

Collapse -

Windows 2000 server

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 server

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)