General discussion

windows 2000 server and linux

By aplu ·
Here's my problem
I have a linux server with 6 terminals and a win2000 terminal server running i have the linux terminals that can switch to windows terminal server and you can log on to the win server so you can use both but you can't use the printer when you are in windows the printer is hooked up to one of the terminals and it works fine in linux now i have been trying to get the linux and the win server to see each other with samba but havn't had any luck i dont have any windows work stations dont need them but i would like to get the printer working so i can print when the teminals are in windows mode is this possible is so can any body help.Thanks Aplus

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rhantson In reply to windows 2000 server and l ...

I'm a little confused on what you are trying to accomplish... but hopefully I'm on the right track... it sounds like you have printers hooked up to your Linux boxes, and would like to print to them from windows...

The first step is to make sure that the printers are readilly available on your network. Probably the easiest and fastest way to do this, with the least amount of effort would be to purchase a small "Print Server" from Fry's or your local computer store.

In essence, they quickly can turn any printer into a network printer for only about 20-30 bucks. Assign the printer a local IP address, and viola, it's available to every computer on your network...

It beats hasseling with the Unix Printer Manager settings in Windows or even worse, having to purchase Services for Unix...

Hope that helps... If not, feel free to email me, and give me more details...

Collapse -

by aplu In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by blarman In reply to windows 2000 server and l ...

First hint: use periods. Your question is nearly unintelligible. Second. The easiest way to get things working is to convert all of the printers to IP-based printing. If I knew what models they were, I might be able to suggest something else, but printing from Windows is Windows-centric - Trying to get Windows to print through Linux is a lot of hassle.

Collapse -

by aplu In reply to

Collapse -

by slm In reply to windows 2000 server and l ...

You install the Samba server on the Linux print
server.
Then you change the settings in
the /etc/samba/smb.conf so the Samba server
belongs to the same domain or workgroup as the
windows server.
Also make sure that the Windows Server and not
Samba are browse master in the workgroup/domain.
Create a public share also on the Samba server -
the it is easier to check if the Windows server
sees the Samba server.

Now if the Linux printer is a Cups printer, the
you have to change the permissions in Cups to
allow everyone to print.
And you have to make it publicly available in
Samba also.
In Samba you don't need to configure printers
individually.
I have had problems getting everyone to print
from windows, but if I have an account - the
same on windows and Linux it works.
Samba has comments in smb.conf that helps in
setting it up

Collapse -

by aplu In reply to

Collapse -

by aplu In reply to windows 2000 server and l ...

This question was closed by the author