General discussion

Windows 2000 Server Browsing Problems

By grbchevy ·
I am experieng trouble with browsing on my Windows 2000 server network. The server is running Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2. It is running WINS, DHCP, DNS, and Active Directory. The clients are correctly getting all the IP information but are getting event id errors 8021 and 8032

Event id: 8021
Source: Browser
Description: The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the
browser master <PDC> on the network \device\<protocol_netcard>.
The data is the error code.
Event id: 8032
Source: Browser
Description: The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too
many times on transport of <protocol_netcard>. The backup browser is
stopping.

The clients are a mix of Windows 2000 machinesand Windows 98 machines. They are experiencing intermittent connectivity problems, i.e. loss of ability to print, and the ability to access the server resources such as files- although I can still ping the server. The Windows 98 machines are also having intermittent trouble logging in when they boot up the computer- they get an error message saying that the domain password is incorrect or the domain server is unavailable.

I believe it is a browsing issue. I changed the server registry setting ISDOMAINMASTER from FALSE to YES. However I am still experiencing problems.

Any help you may be able to give me is GREATLY appreciated. This problem has me boggled.

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BeerMonster In reply to Windows 2000 Server Brows ...

Hi,
The causes and troubleshooting routines for these errors are covered in technet article
Q135404

search on that number at www.microsoft.com/technet

hope this helps...

Collapse -

by grbchevy In reply to Windows 2000 Server Brows ...

I tried the troubleshooting techniques in the Technet article Q135404 but they did not help. My server is not multihomed.

Collapse -

by davefiler In reply to Windows 2000 Server Brows ...

In the registry, the line below ISDOMAINMASTER is MAINTAINSERVERLIST did you set that value to yes? By doing so, this machine will always act as a master browser regardless of the outcome of the "election". Remember, you will also need a backup browser for every 15 computers in your organization. By setting the browse master property to yes for only those computers that are stable, fast, and stay up consistantly - and setting the property to no for everyone else - you will eliminate these errors. This will not,however, solve your login problems. When I had similar problems This was as a result of bad network cards. I've had particular problems in this regard with 3COM Combo cards. Although the client actually authenticates, the process takes so long that Windows times out. Try upgrading a few of your cards and see if that helps.

Collapse -

by grbchevy In reply to Windows 2000 Server Brows ...

I swapped out the 3Com NIC's and changed the registry settings but am still having the same problem. I checked out some news groups and it seems like alot of other people are having the same problem. Am I going to just have to wait for service pack3 to be released????????

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)