Question

Windows 2000 server cals

By colmgdonnelly ·
We currently have a windows 2000 server SBS which is our domain controller. I may be able to acquire an additional server running windows 2000 server (standard). I have 50 Cals for my existing server (per seat mode) and was wondering if i need to purchase an additional 50 cals for the new server also? If not will my existing 50 users be able to access both servers with my existing batch of 50 cals?

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I think so

by Travler92 In reply to Windows 2000 server cals

The CALS are for the domain controller, your new server is just another PC on the network as far as the cals go. Licensing for the other software on the new server is another matter though.

Collapse -

further question

by colmgdonnelly In reply to I think so

Thanks for that. Im not actually running any licenced software such as exchange or anything on the second server. In the licensing mmc on the new server all clients are showing up as "unclicensed access" which worries me and also leads to me to believe that perhaps the CALs for sbs are different from the cals for windows server 2000 standard edition.

Collapse -

by Travler92 In reply to further question

As far as I know the CALs for 2k and 2k3 are not transferable.
Wk2 server should come with 5 CALs already (I think), perhaps there is something with the client IDs being passed through sbs 2k3. Not a 100% sure, will have to do some checking.

Where about in Dublin are U?
I use to work in East Point Business Park (Clontarf) until a few years ago.

Collapse -

Dublin

by colmgdonnelly In reply to ..

Actually just around the corner from Clontarf (baldoyle)? you done the right thing getting out of this country anyway.

Collapse -

I Know

by Travler92 In reply to Dublin

Just too damm expensive.
Was there for the boom (IT) but the cost of living was just too much. Decided to come back to Australia and live the good life.
I was living in Rahney for most of the time I was there. Nice area. Harry Burnes was my local, great place for a pint and to watch the rugby.

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)