General discussion

Windows 2000 server DNS problem

By podorson ·
I work for a small company which has a single windows 2000 server setup as a domain controller and dns server. The problem is that DNS only works internally, not for the internet. I am able to perform an nslookup from a workstation, but I cant resolve any internet sites.

thanks,
David

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows 2000 server DNS p ...

hummm not quite sure what your question really is. you say you can do nslookup from a workstation but don't say what your looking up. you also say you cant do a nslookup to internet sites which would indicate you cant get out to the internet [which would indicate a firewall or something blocking that]. if your DNS only works internally, another question is do you want it to work for your FQDN [public]? That is done by specifing with your domain name registrar that your DNS server is authoritative for your FQDN.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

bgorman has the right answer. If your DNS server can't resolve www.yahoo.com, then it needs to foward that query to other DNS servers, specifically your ISP DNS server for the resolution.

Collapse -

by podorson In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by bgorman In reply to Windows 2000 server DNS p ...

Without a lot of information to go on I would check to see if your dns server has a root(.) zone setup. That could be causing it. If you right click on your lookup zone and don't have the option to enable forwarders then delete your root(.) zone. If you can enable forwarders then point your forwarder to the DNS server of your ISP

Collapse -

by podorson In reply to

Collapse -

by podorson In reply to Windows 2000 server DNS p ...

Regarding nslookup, when I type "nslookup 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.1", where 192.168.0.1 is the server ip address, I get the correct response, but when I type "nslookup www.yahoo.com" I get the error "cant find www.yahoo.com, non existet domain".

Collapse -

by freetech In reply to Windows 2000 server DNS p ...

use your router as a dns forwarder. an alternate plan would be to use your dns forwarder to point to the ISP's dns servers(s).
hope this helps,
brant

Collapse -

by podorson In reply to

Collapse -

by podorson In reply to Windows 2000 server DNS p ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)