General discussion

Windows 2000 Server DNS/Trust question

By bradq ·
Hi. We have two LAN's connected across the Internet using a VPN. Each is on its own domain and has its own Domain Controller. There is a trust established between the two domains. When using Explorer to assing permissions on files, you can only get the drop down list of your own LAN. When trying to choose users from the LAN across the Internet you get this error "Cannot display objects from this location because of the following error: The server is not operational." It had been working in the past until removing the "everyone" group from access to a folder and choosing a specific group instead. Even after putting the "everyone" group back, it will still not work now. I checked out this article "Q306980" on Microsoft's website but it didntwork when I tried it. Any suggestions on what needs to be done? Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by avswamy In reply to Windows 2000 Server DNS/T ...

try to create trust relation ship with the both the domains then try it. if you created both trust relation then it will gives amessages that you have been trusted by trustee domain. then there should not be any problem.

i hope this will solve your problem

Collapse -

by bradq In reply to Windows 2000 Server DNS/T ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by quintar51 In reply to Windows 2000 Server DNS/T ...

The problem has to do with DNS.

Check out this page for more info.

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4600/rh4606.htm

hope that helps,

Collapse -

Contacted Microsoft. It was close to article Q306980 but had to be done on both servers.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)