General discussion

Windows 2000 server failed

By tcwtx ·
My Windows 2000 server was dying so I replaced it and now have issues rejoining the domain on the windows 2000 workstations. The pc connect to the domain but will not run the login script. I have disconnected one pc from the domain and reconnected and then the login script works. But by doing this I loose all the setting and have to resetup e-mail printers documents etc. Is there a trick to rejoining the domain and not loosing everything.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jasonschambers In reply to Windows 2000 server faile ...

One way of fixing this is to setup roaming profiles and it will not lose anyones settings. Other than that I am at a lost and when I did my upgrade I was coping all the profiles in the new servers. Good Luck

Collapse -

by tcwtx In reply to Windows 2000 server faile ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Windows 2000 server faile ...

No, there isn't. When you replaced the server, you essentially replaced the SID (system id) on your network. Your client computers will not be able to connect to the server, unless you remove them from the domain, reboot, join the domain again, reboot. Unfortunately there's no shortcut... essentially the client computers see themselves as being on a new network and they have to be remapped to the server's shares.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by abubin In reply to Windows 2000 server faile ...

Anna777 is right. When you replace the server, the SID has changed eventhough you are setting up your server to same settings, the SID is what determine the server's identity.

Your only way is to reconnect all the workstations again like what youdid to the first one. That is the reason why you should have 2 servers. Because with 2 servers when you replace 1 dying server, the new server can replicate all the AD from the backup server. This would save a lot of problems in the future.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)