General discussion

Windows 2000 server freezes

By mdhislam ·
Hi
I have 5 clone computer running windows 2000 ADV. server in my home Network; built with AMD and Intel processors. each of them has 256 MB memory and 8GB HD, only 2 GB used, NTFS partition.
My problem is my computers freezes frequently. any application I run it takes long time, if I try to run more than one program It freezes. Task manager does not help, only way is either logof or restart. it is brand new installation so Virus is not an issue. Please help me.
thanks
MD

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows 2000 server freez ...

How I interpert your question is that you have 5 Computers on a network, each running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and they freeze up on you. If this is true, you probably have a conflict between each server as to who is the authoritative server (Primary Domain Controller). Each server is probably telling the other that it is the PDC. Try having only one server running W2000 Advanced Server and 4 workstations running Windows 98, Me 2000 or XP that connect to the server via the LAN Hub, Switch or whatever you use to connect all the computers together. .

Collapse -

Once you do that, you can configure your server as the PDC. Then either statically assign IP addresses for the server and workstationsor have DHCP do the job for you. Then assign security rights for the network.

Collapse -

by mdhislam In reply to Windows 2000 server freez ...

One is running as domain controller with AD installed and rest of them as member server in the same domain. You probably right I was trying to promote all the servers as domain controller with AD in the existing domain, any more information you can provide me would be appreciated.
Thanks
MD

Collapse -

Well, ok, member servers. I'm gonna sound officious but, planning out a network before one begins actually buying equipment and setting up the network is probably the most crucial thing one does. Again, with a 5 computer network, [a Small Office/Home Office] one could use only one server and 4 workstations. [1 computer running the Windows Advanced Server with Exchange and ISA server on that one computer]and the other 4 running any other operating system OTHER THAN Windows Advanced Server. Having so many servers interconnected without specifing what they are and what they are supposed to do, will probably cause you fits and likey find you throwing the things out the windows. Visit Microsoft's Servers home page [http://www.microsoft.com/servers] and browse their FAQ's for information on network setup.

Collapse -

by mdhislam In reply to Windows 2000 server freez ...

hi
thanks for your your help. Actually it is my home lab with 7 computer, I am practicing networking, that's why I have 5 servers in such a small network.
any info, link or suggestion would be highly appreciated
Thanks again
MD

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)