General discussion

Windows 2000 Server, Internet Share

By lchambers ·
I have a network of 5 workstations and the
PDC. I was running Win 98 on all. The PDC
kept crashing and I determined that I needed Windows 2000 server. The PDC no longer crashes, but I can not get the internet sharing to work. It worked great in Windows 98.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by michael.goff In reply to Windows 2000 Server, Inte ...

To enable Internet Connection Sharing on a network connection:

In Control Panel, double-click Network and Dial-Up Connections.

Right-click the connection you want to share, and then click Properties.

On the Sharing tab, click to select the Enable Internet Connection Sharing for this connection check box.

If the connection you are sharing is a Dial-up connection and you want the connection to dial automatically when another computer on your home network attempts to use external resources, click to select the "Enable on-demand dialing" check box.

To enable ICS, you must have administrative rights.

You should not use this feature on a computer running DNS server or DHCP server or a Windows 2000 Domain Controller.. When you enable ICS, the network adapter connected to the home or small office network is given a new static IP address configuration. Existing TCP/IP connections on the CS computer are lost and need to be re-established.

The Internet Connection Sharing feature is intended for use in a small office or home office so the network configuration and the Internet connection are managed by the Windows 2000-based computer on which the shared connection resides.

You cannot modify the default network configuration after enabling ICS. This includes items such as the range of private IP addresses that are handed out (DHCP allocator), enabling or disabling DNS, configuring a range of public IP addresses, or configuring inbound mappings.

Collapse -

by lchambers In reply to Windows 2000 Server, Inte ...

Had to reformat disk to FAT32 to communicate with WIN98 clients.

Collapse -

by michael.goff In reply to Windows 2000 Server, Inte ...

Another method is to buy a router either by
netgear or linksys (no more than $150). attach your cable modem to the router then the router a hub/switch and your server/clients to the hub/switch

why use 2 nics when a router can handle it all including
basic firewall protection, NAT, and it can do dhcp (20 client limit).

Collapse -

Cable Internet not available in our area

Collapse -

Cable Internet is not yet available, so a router would not work.

Having followed all directions in HELP and suggestions from subscribers, I found that it was necessary to reformat hard drive to FAT32 in order to communicate with WIN98 servers.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)