General discussion

Windows 2000 Server Issues

By techman ·
we're having a few issues w/ windows 2000 server

here are portions of the log

issue 1:
The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty.

issue 2:
The DNS server for this DC does not support dynamic DNS. Add the DNS records from the file '%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\netlogon.dns' to the DNS server serving the domain referenced in that file.

issue 3:
The value named IRPStackSize in the server's Registry key LanmanServer\Parameters was invalid. The value was ignored, and processing continued.

Does anyone have any ideas what these are exactly? I would assume that the pool is the memory pool and there is some kind of leak. as far as the DNS server I though I had dynamic DNS enabled
and for the LanManserver error what is a valid value I can use or whatever

Any assistance would be greatly appreciaed.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Tech_Trainer In reply to Windows 2000 Server Issue ...

Your second issue may stem from DHCP, not DNS. After you have verified that the DNS zones are Active Directory-integrated and you have set your zones for dynamic update(go to the properties of the forward and reverse lookup zones you have configured), check the DHCP server. The properties of the server should have "Automatically update DHCP client information in DNS" checked off. If your clients are all Win2K Pro, you can use the "Update DNS only if DHCP client requests". If you have any other clients, you must choose "Always update DNS" as well as "Enable updates for DNS clients that do not support dynamic update".

If this still doesn't work, try a reboot.

Collapse -

by techman In reply to Windows 2000 Server Issue ...

we are using Statically assigned IP addresses. DHCP is actually uninstalled could reinstalling that help. thing is we want all the workstations to have static ips.

Collapse -

by romeroe In reply to Windows 2000 Server Issue ...

Dynamic DNS uses DHCP and will not work if you don't have DHCP running. I was having trouble understanding why you would be using Dynamic DNS if all you workstation IP's were static. Check out Q264539. It explains the part about Dynamic DNS.
For the memory problem I would start by running perfmon and checking to see if any process is taking up too much memory which sounds like that is the case. Have you tried increasing your page file as a bandaid?
As for the IRPSTACKSIZE error, the default setting in the registry should be 11 and no less. If it is not 11 set it and reboot, you should be ok after that.. If you have any other problems check out q238316 in http://www.microsoft.com/technet

Collapse -

Thanks for your help

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)