General discussion

Windows 2000 Server & Linux working together

By foxy2_angel ·
What specifically is necessary for Windows 2000 Server & Linux to work together

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by hozcanhan In reply to Windows 2000 Server & Lin ...

SFU might be just for you on the Microsoft side : Services for Unix. You can find explanations and software on the microsoft download site. On the Linux side you can have a lot too . visit a free linux site like linux.org . There are explanations and software . By to work together if you mean access each other ...primarily you need tcp/ip and correct netmask and gateway settings. Define the role of each ( tasks they will share ) on the crossplatform you will make . That is specifically necessary .

Collapse -

by foxy2_angel In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by foxy2_angel In reply to Windows 2000 Server & Lin ...

What would it take exactly? And, is it possible for these two different systems to be used in an office setting? Are there any special programs that are necessary to share files and printers?

Currently, it is a client/server network. 1 Windows 2000 server providing print and file services and 7 Windows 2000 Pro systems (two have printers attached). Oh, and the networking protocol is NetBEUI.

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

Now it's a question with more data . First foxy angel , start using TCP/IP . I would go further and say replace NETBUI with TCP/IP . No big effort to do so ! Since your visualization of your overall system is two separate servers with clients logging separately on them , you are right to reject the previous answer . For file sharing there is samba server and samba client and for printer sharing there is a lot of special software and ways . Since you are using the Microsoft as the file and printer sharing , use Linux for other roles : Firewall and/or Router . If you are looking for a AD structure type setting then you need other configuration and special programmes on each server . But IP first !!!

Collapse -

by foxy2_angel In reply to

What do u mean by the AD structure type setting?? And please explain what the configurations and programs are for it. I already asked this, and still waiting for a reply...
You have helped me somewhat, and if acceptable, u will be awarded well.

Collapse -

What do u mean by AD structure type?? and please explain what the configurations and programs for that. I already asked this, and waiting for a reply...if acceptable, u will be awarded well.

Collapse -

Please explain what you meant by the AD structure type setting...and u will be awarded an even greater amount if acceptable.
Oh, and I was going to upgrade to TCP/IP anyway...NetBEUI is so obsolete its pathetic...

Collapse -

Thanks so much for your help.
You have helped me much more than u know...I'm sure everything will work out now, that you have helped me to achieve this goal.

Collapse -

diane sorry for the poor english . but its not my
> native language .
> your question :
> if you set up two servers whom the users log on to
> separately ,
> no problem . Less hassle ! But if you need a single
> log on or a
> single object data base then better to use AD and
> include linux
> as a forest . You can use SFU services for unix
> available from
> microsoft as special tools . also on linux you can
> load many management
> tools to coexist with a microsoft server .
> I hope I am clear with this answer now. If you wish
> make a table first.
> what user needs goes to which server
> which users use only one server
> which users use both servers.
> which sources ( disks,printers ) should be available
> to sharing under each
> server..
>
> then it will be more clear to make a decision and
> progress.

Back to Networks Forum