General discussion

Windows 2000 Server log on

By tims ·
I am trying to set up a small helpdesk of 10 pc's the pc's will logon with accounts user 1, user 2 all the way to 10 these accounts are set up on the server and this connects in fine and they can access all files that are shared to those accounts. The problem I am having is I want to set up some private home drives and would like them to logon as there own names. I have shared each individual folder with those user names but I correctly get an access denied message when logging into the folder. Is there a way to prompt for a user name and password at this stage so they can log on as themselves?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tamj123 In reply to Windows 2000 Server log o ...

You have to crate user home folder under AD.
open Active Directory\user's Properties
under Profile tab\home folder section\input user's home folder path there

Home this help

Collapse -

by tims In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by ariston In reply to Windows 2000 Server log o ...

Thank you for your question. Here is what I recommend:

- Create a folder called HOME or whatever you choose that will contain all the users home folders.
- Share that folder with Everyone -> Full Control
- In Active Directory click on the Profile tab
- Where it says Connect "X:" to ____ select the drive letter you want as the home drive, and then in the space provided enter the UNC path to the folder followed by the username.
- Click ok, and have the user log off and back on. It should create the folder if it is not there.

One method for making this easier is instead of the putting the username exactly, use %username% so the UNC will look something like \\SERVER\HOME\%username%. What this will do is dynamically grab the username of the person logging in and create the folder with that name.

To lock down the security, once the folders are created, go back and adjust the Security permission on each folder to Administrator and the User. Remove any additional users. That way only the specified user and the Administrator can access the folder.

Hope that helps!

Ariston Collander
ariston@coxcomputer.com

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)